Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just love it when I get asbuilts for a building and its not truly the asbuilts.
This week we received so called "asbuilts" for a previous restaurant from the architect. It will be another restaurant but of course they want more sinks which will mean more in floor grease traps and now 2 water heaters instead of 1. The "asbuilts" make it difficult to create a proper demo plan. Its hard working with asbuilts that are not asbuilts. It makes it difficult and confusing. So we work with what we receive and then we put a big note for the plumbing contractor to verify all work prior to beginning any work just to save our A**.
Is there anyone who does commercial work like this? I just want to know all your complaints and maybe some suggestions that could help me with creating better plumbing drawings.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
This week we received so called "asbuilts" for a previous restaurant from the architect. We are too lazy to actually go to the site and verify conditions and we don't want to pay someone to locate the exisiting drains.We want the contractor to do OUR job. So we work with what we receive and then we put a big note for the plumbing contractor to verify all work prior to beginning any work just to save our A**. Then we wonder why the quotes are all so high and why there are always a large number of change orders. We do all this while drawing a hefty paycheck for putting out WORTHLESS drawings and rubber stamp spec books.

Fixed for accuracy.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Without precise information, no one can create accurate plumbing drawings. A job walk by a designer who has a working understanding of plumbing and it's codes (either a PE specializing in plumbing design or a plumbing firm that does 2 and 3 D CAD design work), would be a prerequisite, if for no other reason than to verify the as builts. Even then, an educated guess is about all one can come up with for existing work concealed by concrete and walls.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone did go to the site ans look for information but there was not much there. Only a few floor drains, floor sinks, and a few hand sinks. The bar area was on a completely different side so how piping was run is a big guess. The asbuilts showed a grease line heading to the grease interceptor outside. Called the contractor who will be doing this restaurant and he informed me there is not one on site there was never any room for one because electrical took over the only grassy area there was. There was grease traps under the 2 sinks sitting above finished floor.
Being a designer and being the only plumbing designer I don't get to visit the field very much unless its local. Most of our work is in North Carolina not Virginia. The owner does 99% of the field work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts