Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you, many of you I'm sure have been or go to houses that have asbestos in them. Some may be reno's, or service calls. I'm curious how you approach the topic of asbestos in someone's home. How do you conduct yourself around it? Do you have someone who tests for it for you? Do you have an exposure plan? Do you know how to recognize it? Or to hell with it? What do you tell the homeowner?

And a little scenario for you:

Lets pretend you have 2 renovation contractors coming over to your house. Lets say for example you want to do a complete gut of a bathroom. You have an older type heritage house that may or may not have asbestos but say you don't know much about it.

So Contractor 1 comes over to your house, looks professional, not flashy, but a clean looking tradesman type. He impresses you with his attitude, courtesy, and the questions he asks. He has good references potentially from friends, all that. And he gives you a quote.

Contractor 2 shows up and lets say he's equally or similarly as impressive as the first contractor, with equal references, and say he gives you a similarly priced quote, but after doing some more investigating, he has an asterik attached. He asks you how old your home is? And you said xxx years. So he asks if you know if has asbestos in it? And you say "I'm not sure." So he tells the homeowner that before he can properly give you a quote, he is going to have a guy he uses to come and do some asbestos tests on insulation, those types of things. He mentions that this is standard procedure for his company and that he not only wants to protect his guys, obey state or provincial or national law, but that if he starts opening up walls which may have asbestos that the fibers could contaminate your home. You then seem startled - you ask him what are the consequences if there is asbestos - he says they would have to have (what is normally an expensive) remediation type contractor come and clean it up professionally, which could cost so much.

So to sum it up, you have 2 contractors - equally impressive in how they approach the actual renovation, but one has an edge in recognizing potential asbestos in the home and the need to test for it and potentially remediate it. What's your take on which contractor should you use, and what is the reality of the situation?

The last question I have for you is: Do you know someone who has died from asbestos?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Got the pads still hunting the gaskets....lol

But seriously. a contractor who covers all points is the best one IMO. Yea its expensive but it will be done right and you can sleep easy at night because all the bases have been covered.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Little bit of acetone to wash it down, gets my creative mind a flowing in the morning.

Ahh yes, VOC's are part of a nervous system's riot!

I thought you guys also ate shat for breakfast too?

But seriously....?

Yes, I do that too, minus the corn for religious reasons.

I'll have to find you a thread I started, different forums, one of which had to do with asbestosis and the other was in response to an already moving thread where I felt a different perspective was needed.

Doesn't mean I made it any better, possibly made it worse. :whistling2:

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Ekkk Asbestos, yes it can be messy if not done right and I agree there is much liability involved as well,

Personally I don't mind working with it though, I was taught about it when I first started as a steamfitter when I was younger and worked with it since then.

Here is a few pics of a old 1949 boiler I just removed all the Asbestos from for one of my neighbors. ( Asbestos Removal 1949 boiler ) <- pics if you are interested of course.

and no, never knew anyone that dies from Asbestos, Did you?

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I had worked with a GC who done HUD work. As a licensed plumber and contractor I had to take class's for lead paint and asbestos to be able to do work for the HUD program. Asbestos as long as it is left alone is harmless. BUT if disturbed the fine particles emitted by disturbing it can be breathed in. This is where the damage is done. It gets lodged in the lungs. Infants and expectant mothers can have problems by breathing in the dust from it. It can cause cancer. Older people there is less chance of this due to the fact that it takes so long for the effects to show. The safest thing is if you think it is asbestos, leave it alone. It may not harm you, but it WILL harm someone else.

There is a safe way to deal with it, but I will not go into how to do it here because I am NOT authorized to teach anyone how to do it and do not want to accept any liability because I mis guided someone.

If you think it is asbestos, leave it alone! You may not harm yourself, but you could endanger others

·
Registered
468 Posts
The last question I have for you is: Do you know someone who has died from asbestos?
No, because they are all dead!

Asbestos is not something which kills you quickly or from a single exposure. The affects are cumulative, and take a very long time to accumulate. There are well documented cases of the wives of asbestos workers contracting the mesothelioma just from exposure to what their guy brought home on his clothes.

I get the montly magazine from the Fleet Reserve Association. Each month, there are still law firms trolling for patients for their class action suits. This would be people exposed a long time ago, and ships and in shipyards.

Asbestos is nothing to be casual about.

It is certainly true that remediation is now a cottage industry. The next cottage industry will be radon remediation from granite countertops. ( google that, and jump on the bandwagon!)

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
No, because they are all dead!

Asbestos is not something which kills you quickly or from a single exposure. The affects are cumulative, and take a very long time to accumulate. \

Asbestos is nothing to be casual about.
Asbestos is dangerous pure and simple, lets put it that way, work wit it wet and have your face covered always ....:thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Asbestos is only dangerous if you disturb it. While many of us that eat it for breakfast or have seen a lot of it, cannot always recognize it. The ones to be afraid of are the friable thermal products, like those used on piping and boilers. Many of the other types in construction are bound tightly into the material, it cannot go easily airborne. Asbestos particles released in the air from a friable type can stay airborne for up to 4 hours. This mean you get to breath it in. Asbestos does not get you right away. It takes about 20 years for the damage to your lungs, but when you get one of the three related types of medical conditions caused by it, you are in for a long, painful death. Many have died from asbestos. No one I know, but it happens.
The reality is that most of us will never be exposed to a lot of it. However, caution should be taken. Asbestos is one of the most litigated health hazards in the construction industry. The owner is liable making others aware of the product and having it removed. If you believe the product might contain asbestos (presumed) then samples should be pulled and tested.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You should go to the introductions section and post an intro

Asbestos is only dangerous if you disturb it. While many of us that eat it for breakfast or have seen a lot of it, cannot always recognize it. The ones to be afraid of are the friable thermal products, like those used on piping and boilers. Many of the other types in construction are bound tightly into the material, it cannot go easily airborne. Asbestos particles released in the air from a friable type can stay airborne for up to 4 hours. This mean you get to breath it in. Asbestos does not get you right away. It takes about 20 years for the damage to your lungs, but when you get one of the three related types of medical conditions caused by it, you are in for a long, painful death. Many have died from asbestos. No one I know, but it happens.
The reality is that most of us will never be exposed to a lot of it. However, caution should be taken. Asbestos is one of the most litigated health hazards in the construction industry. The owner is liable making others aware of the product and having it removed. If you believe the product might contain asbestos (presumed) then samples should be pulled and tested.

·
Super Moderator
12,487 Posts
I have read that the incubation period can be 10 to 50 yrs before the person gets the lung disorders. Once I was sent to repair/replace a valve in a bldg built in the 1920's and it had insulation wrapped around the pipes. My manager showed up, told the customer ( a country club) that we won't touch that due to asbestos pipe wrap. He pulled me off the job. He said the ramifications could come back to haunt you many years later.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Removing asbestos without the proper procedure is opening yourself up for future liablilty. If a customer gets sick EVER whether it was from the asbestos you exposed them to or not, you can be blamed. It isn't worth touching it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The original intent (this is 2 years after the fact) of this thread was to try and answer my original question, obviously.

I assumed that everyone had the knowledge that was already posted in this thread (as I already knew pretty much all of it) i.e. when you disturb previously encapsulated fibers, say attached to a heating or water pipe, and they become air borne this is bad news, and subsequently that the exposure from breathing them in takes many years, like a ticking time bomb, to show up - and you may wake up with a nasty cough one day, you go get an MRI done of your lungs and many scars show up. But I guess I should have posted the basics first and foremost, and then asked the question.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts