Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Do you call yourself a plumber or a tech?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came up in another thread, so please vote.

My interpretation of the two terms:

Plumber - Attended a trade school, served as an apprentice, went on to take the journeyman's test or whatever license he/she has earned. Generally more skilled in plumbing than a tech.

Tech - The 'new' plumber. Usually no trade school, certificate or license. Plumbing credentials earned by riding in a service truck with a plumber for 6 mos. to a year. Trained in sales and customer service. Pretty boy plumbers - they like the booties and gloves and will avoid getting their white shirts dirty at all costs.

So, when weighing in, please use your own interpretation. The above is what I would visualize.

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Master Electrical
Contractor Electrical
Master Plumber's License
Commercial Driver's License
Certified On-Site Septic Installer
Journeyman Plumber's License

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
You can't work under someone else's license in Illinois, if you aren't licensed by the Illinois Dept. of Health you can't work on any aspect of a plumbing system, you are limited to sewer work only, and in Cook county you have to have a drainlayers license to do that.

·
Banned
383 Posts
journeyman: st. louis city.
journeyman: st. louis county.
journeyman: illinois.
journeyman: south dakota.
master plumber: south dakota.
i started working for a plumber when i was 15.
i attended ranken technical college and obtained my degree in plbg. tech.
i worked for monsanto in r&d at world hq for 2 years as a pipe fitter.
i aquired my journeymans in st. louis & illinois working for kemper plbg. in st. louis.
i moved to south dakota 7 years ago aquired my journeymans here. and tested for master and started my first shop 4.5 years ago.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Certified plumbing contractor-fl 2008 (Master Plumber)
Journeyman Plumber-Fl 2005
Currently Preparing for GA Class 1 Master Plumber

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dang I should have read your definitions first. Actually I consider myself a true mechanic. I can start my day roughing in a house , leave at noon for a couple of service calls like changing a kit. faucet , then trouble shoot a well pump. Stop back at the office to return calls and find my neighbor waiting for me , he needs his a quick weld on his trailer. Go out to get pizza for the family and they're complaining about their AC, so while they make my pizza I go up and check the charge on the roof top. After dinner my son need help working on his car.
I guess I'm a plumber by trade , a mechanical god by nature;).

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
IL licensed plumber
IL registered plumbing contractor
IN licensed plumbing contractor
IL cross-connection device inspector
IL asbestos project manager

I would say I'm more of a plumber than a tech. In my mind a tech is more in the repair arena. With a lot of knowledge of how to service all kinds of plumbing fixtures and devices. I do believe a tech should be licensed as required though. There is no place in our profession for the un-licensed.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I am a professional plumber, not just a plumber, or a tech, but a professional plumber.

Reactions: Cal

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
ron are you just saying that because thats what it says in the upper right corner.:laughing: sorry ron just had to stick a mod in the ribs.:laughing:

:thumbsup::laughing:

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I don't give a flying dingleberry what people call me, I just like fixing plumbing and getting a FAT check when I'm done.:thumbup: The customer can call me a lowlife $hitworker for all I care, as long as their money is green, its all good. (I put over 5 Gs in the bank today, so I'm in a good mood.):thumbsup:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I call myself a tech, but I'm a plumber as well. I wear a white shirt and gloves and even booties when needed. I'm a true plumber and no one that knows me would ever question that. Aside from that I have pretty extensive electrical skill (though not technically an electrician), I dabble in HVAC, I'm an auto mechanic, a welder but most of all a plumber.

By calling yourself a tech, you are simply saying you are a service technician. Being a tech does not mean you are not a plumber. A service tech is a type of plumber. You cannot say you are a tech and not a plumber.

Plumb, the stereo types you've put forth come from your own mind and do not represent reality. I know great plumbers (who are service technicians) that were not very concerned about image, and others that are (like myself). I've also seen some real idiots that looked terrible as well as some that are the white shirt guys you describe. The truth is, you can't judge a book bye it's cover. Nor can you judge someone’s skill by weather they call themselves a plumber or a service tech.

The reason those PSI companies call there guys techs is to get away from the dirty image of a plumber(butt crack and all).

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
I don't give a flying dingleberry what people call me, I just like fixing plumbing and getting a FAT check when I'm done.:thumbup: The customer can call me a lowlife $hitworker for all I care, as long as their money is green, its all good. (I put over 5 Gs in the bank today, so I'm in a good mood.):thumbsup:

flying dingleberry?

Do they really fly :thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts