Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you remember back a good while we talked about flat rate software? The reason I haven't been around much, it has been busy, call'n coyotes, and working on the Flat Rate Plus software.
This software, after you get to know your way around, it's so easy a caveman can do it. It is sweet.
You can totally customize it to what you want, add your material model #'s, cost, labor per hour, and POOF theres you book. When you need to update $'s, click-click its done. It comes preloaded with material on it, to start. I am in the process of changing tasks and putting my own #'s in.
It will be nice when I am up and running with it.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
www.aptora.com

Talk to a guy name Bernie. He is SO helpful. We have pondered on this for some time, he never once came across as a used car salesman or pushy for that matter. Tech support has been good so far, when I have a question. So far I have only great reviews. In the future we would like to get the Total Office Manager (TOM).

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why software

Why do you need software to calculate your prices? Do you have that many different services? It would seem to me that it you have so many services it would take a lot of time to input everything into the software when you could use a word processor and make your own book.

The problem we find with software is the prices at the supply houses change too frequently. If you don't keep up with the price changes and enter them into your software then you cheat yourself. But, if you have your own price book with pre-printed prices, you must make the prices high enough to cover moderate changes in wholesale prices.

Here is my point. If you use your software, you have have to adjust 500 wholesale prices every month. If you use your own hand-made price book specifically covering the services you offer then you may have to make only a few changes every few months.

Please explain how your software works and what it actually does for you to save you time. With software, it sounds like you need to bring a laptop to bid a job.

Sorry for all the questions. It would be nice to see the true benefits of software, the accuracy, and how much time it can save

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I gotta side with BatonRouge on this one fellas . I have adjusted my book every few months and it is just simple as can be . ALL that software confuses me . Also feel like would be paying for SO MANY more things then I actually will do .

Guess whatever works for whoever is using it . But lots of times simpler does seem better .

Cal

·
Registered
56 Posts
Still curious

When you get the time I am still curious about what the software can do.

Perhaps, you could post some screen shots.

What program are you using to make the software? Excel?

just curious!

Thank you

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
Here an answer

Go to the web site that Song Dog mention. I spoke with Bernie as well. Way he explained it to me was for example say you charge 110 per hr. you type in your hrly and profit margin like 30% and it caculates what you should charge for each task. It has a national data base on material cost. For example it says 50 gal gas water heater cost $350.00 and the cost goes up on them to $390.00 you go in and change the cost and it re figures the cost of the task of of you hrly rate and profit margin. Kinda a neat system.

Reactions: rooterboy

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Smells, I have the Flat Rate Plus. Some day we will get TOM.

Baton, Kings is right, goto the site and you can find your way around. As far as I posting screen shots, can't do it. I am not that computer savy:laughing:
I am not using anything else but the software that came with it. I was a tad nervous about working it, but it is really easy. You can leave the material data base in it or change material if you like. I chose to change a bunch of mine. Why? for down the road I should be able to track my inventory better with TOM.
Hope I helped you out.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you.

Go to the web site that Song Dog mention. I spoke with Bernie as well. Way he explained it to me was for example say you charge 110 per hr. you type in your hrly and profit margin like 30% and it caculates what you should charge for each task. It has a national data base on material cost. For example it says 50 gal gas water heater cost $350.00 and the cost goes up on them to $390.00 you go in and change the cost and it re figures the cost of the task of of you hrly rate and profit margin. Kinda a neat system.
That was sort of what I was thinking. Thank you very much.

·
Banned
913 Posts
We purchased ours from Bernie as well. Like you, we customized our prices and did find a few mistakes. I don't have the book with me, but it was in the icemaker line installation. They had 90 of something which should have been 9 max.. Also, in water heaters, one of the heaters is listed as tall rather than short. Something like that . . .

We use 4 columns and print a 2nd book with just overtime prices to keep it looking neat. Due to the economy, we have not field tested it yet.

Cat

·
Banned
913 Posts
Yes, we are still hourly. We Flat Rate Water Heaters, Toilet replacements, garbage disposal replacements, and faucet replacements. Repair work is hourly. Flat rating with the new hourly rate takes our prices too high for the market we are in right now (competing with laid off plumbers and handymen) and the quick in and out jobs would be too cheap. Also, now is not the time to put more pressure on our plumbers. Everyone (customers, suppliers, me etc) is in a funk due to the economy. In the past three months we have become more profitable just by getting more jobs and working harder. Keeping morale up is front and center right now.

·
Super Moderator
12,486 Posts
I have an old version of flat rate price book based on Mayo system. It's like from 2001 or 2002. I checked the on line stuff, and they want like $1,300.00 for software. That's bull. My wife says she can make it with microsoft office on our home computer and print it out but it'll take her a while to get around to it. So for now I use my old book w/ tasks and add-on rates. But I'd like a newer book w/ more tasks in it (like replacing gas fittings, gas leak detection, repairing gas vent, replacing as well as re-building stems, etc.) I wish I had software for less money. I would suggest several of us buy it and share, but companies who produce the software probably make you enter a license code or somehow won't allow us to share. But if like (5) of us purchase one kit and were able to share the software.....

·
Super Moderator
12,486 Posts
I just went to Aptora website, those a-holes want $2500.00 for some CD in a box?!!! Piss on them, I'll make my own or buy bootleg software before I pay that price. Who do they think they are charging those prices, a plumber? Seriously that is way more than I'm willing to spend for a CD with software to print my own book. :censored:

·
never stop learning
9 Posts
digging up a skelaton of a thread but i cant seem to find any other more recent one mentioning Flat Rate Pus from Aptora.

it's seems like pretty rad software, i am seriously considering making the investment.
can anyone who has purchased this product tell me how much they paid for it?

·
I Married Up
16,841 Posts
trid said:
digging up a skelaton of a thread but i cant seem to find any other more recent one mentioning Flat Rate Pus from Aptora.

it's seems like pretty rad software, i am seriously considering making the investment.
can anyone who has purchased this product tell me how much they paid for it?
You should follow the suggestions in the Welcome to the Plumbing Zone message you received upon registering.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts