Hello from Lotus Land.

·
Trust me. I'm a doctor.
934 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome from Saint Louis, Missouri, USA Local#562. I am a third year plumbing apprentice. If you have any questions I could help with let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
oh really? wow, common name I guess.
This site is awesome, I often don't have to start a new thread when I have a problem of my own, someone has always run into the problem already.
Thanks for the welcome =)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey there! Another UA 46 man here. Best thing for you to do is the plumbing first. Nothing against the steamfitters here, but the plumbing exam is soooooo much harder. I am glad that I got the plumbing ticket before the steam ticket. There is so much code crammed into the schooling that it almost leaks out your ears. I had to take the "Red Seal" aside from my provincial ticket, but that has changed now. You get the "National Code Exam". Steamfitting , especially in the tar sands of Alberta, is more of a skills based trade than a code trade. All of the projects are engineered and really unless there is a HUGE problem arises, most of it is fitting for the Welder. It's not like we need to cut a fishmouth in 100" steel anymore. Just one person's opinion. Cheers

·
Registered
592 Posts
We just went to a 3 year apprenticeship for Steam Fitters in Alberta. It is still 4 years for plumbing. Plumbing has alot of codes that need to be crammed into your head as well as technical experience. Plumbing is without a doubt harder than Steamfitting, many apprentices here go with Steamfitting because the Industrial rate is more than Commercial. ( a couple bucks per hour ) There was a ton of work for Steamfitters when the Oil dollar was high but many expansions are being shelved for now until the oil prices improve.
There will soon be alot of Steamfitters at the hall looking for work, the plumbers who were working as pipefitters will just go back to plumbing.

I had the same choice to make as you once upon a time, I chose plumbing. I believe I chose the best path.

Every area has different needs, what works here may not work there.

Take your time with the decision, it will affect your career path for a long time. Good luck.
Words to live by, all the best, and welcome.:thumbsup:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts