Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I don't apply pipe dope to the threads of a tub strainer before you screw it into the shoe of the W/O assembly, One plumber that works with us says a engineer told him it needs it, let me say one thing here, where it threads into the shoe of the drain is not where a seal takes place, dope is not needed there, the seal is at the gasket and the putty. Who here puts dope on those threads?

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Agreed, and even if it does manage to drip a bit it should wind up inside the tub shoe anyway. But yes, I agree the seal is with the rubber gasket underneath, and the putty on top. Though I started adding tub/tile caulk around the basket after I tighten it just to be sure.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
T + 2 use it on all the strainer threads. Found that i have had less leaks for some reason that way.
But, i have seen some guys put dope on a toilet tank gasket. Ex-boss told them to do it. Never understood that one. i see dope all the time on things that dont need it. water heater flex connectors, no burst supplys, true sign of a rookie.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He told me it makes it screw in better, ha, there not even a tapered thread, I showed him, I go, watch this, see how easy it screws into the shoe, he was not convinced it was not needed, so I told him do what he likes, it won't change my way of doing it.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
I dont have a can of it in front of me, but isn't clearly printed on the label of all dopes, that it is just a lube, not a sealent?

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
He told me it makes it screw in better, ha, there not even a tapered thread, I showed him, I go, watch this, see how easy it screws into the shoe, he was not convinced it was not needed, so I told him do what he likes, it won't change my way of doing it.
Never thought of it, but you are 100% right, it is NOT a tapered thread!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool, not that I'll start using it, only time I thing I might use it is in an all bass application, but I see no seizing of the threads in a plastic application.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I dont have a can of it in front of me, but isn't clearly printed on the label of all dopes, that it is just a lube, not a sealent?
i think you're right and that's why i use it sometimes. i will use it on a tub strainer if the shoe is brass as an anti-seize. i can't remember using it on abs ones though.

Plumbers faucet grease on the threads.

One of you service guys will thank me for it later when you can easily disassemble it.

i use faucet grease on all sorts of stuff for this same reason and i am a service plumber!! if i'm doing any service plumbing in Il, i'll thank you in advance right here. it really does make a difference. i put it on delta shower valve domes when i rebuild the valve and they aren't frozen up for the next guy.

paul

·
Registered
141 Posts
I put Dope Megalock on mostly every thread i make up.. I put it on the tub thread just to make it screw in smoother.. Just a habit ..

·
Dream Team Founder
315 Posts
i use dope on the strainer threads, i fell like it threads in easier, and thats the way i was taught to do it so ... its just habit now

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
The reason for dope on a tank to bowl gasket is so it can seat easily without the binding that a dry gasket occasionally encounters. It's not a big deal but it's just one of those little things that makes it all easier and better.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts