Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
You will never make the same kind of money working for somebody vs working for yourself,I have done both and until I went into business for myself full time I never realized how much money I was making for the man,I was wearing and tearing my body so I finally realized I might as well kill my body for myself vs someone’s that doesn’t give a crap about me
I have made more money in one day than many people make in a month.. on average
I would say normally what most people make in a week is my normal day. and then some..
. I could be out installing a water heater on sunday if I was really greedy but I dont want to get a divorce ...
I would not be able to work for anyone ever again...... If you have to wear yourself out
its better to build up your business vs taking care of someone who could really care less
about you and what kind of nasty hell holes they send you to
.....(and maybe you might get a Turkey for X-mas bonus) lol

build up your own business and you are enriching your own soul and family with a potential legacy at the
same time.....

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I have made more money in one day than many people make in a month.. on average
I would say normally what most people make in a week is my normal day. and then some..
. I could be out installing a water heater on sunday if I was really greedy but I dont want to get a divorce ...
I would not be able to work for anyone ever again...... If you have to wear yourself out
its better to build up your business vs taking care of someone who could really care less
about you and what kind of nasty hell holes they send you to
.....(and maybe you might get a Turkey for X-mas bonus) lol

build up your own business and you are enriching your own soul and family with a potential legacy at the
same time.....
Sooooo agreeeee,the boss might give you the nastiest call you ever seen and you want to quit before you do it,but if you are on that same nasty call for your own business it makes all the difference in the world,just one example,the only reason I got into plumbing to start with was to have my own business,that's the only reason

·
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Sooooo agreeeee,the boss might give you the nastiest call you ever seen and you want to quit before you do it,but if you are on that same nasty call for your own business it makes all the difference in the world,just one example,the only reason I got into plumbing to start with was to have my own business,that's the only reason
Those nasty calls can go to hell too...
. I had a company that seemed to have all section 8 work to do and they
even had some hell hole apartments full of druggies on our side of town...
I did a few calls for them and I could see, feel, and taste mostly trouble and danger too....

Then I got an emergency call from them and I had to open up the side of a kitchen sink wall to get to a leak
goinng up to the third floor....I thought the bugs, lice and roaches were gonna drag me under the kitchen sink and eat me....
Then they wanted the cost to re-do 2 apartments that caught on fire due to meth making in that same building
Of course They wanted to re-plumb these meth apartments
two summers ago just exactly at the time I was going out of town ....

I told them to just get someone else to mess with that hell hole and go ahead and give that guy do all the shi//y service calls
in the crack parts of town.. my gift to him. ... The guy that got the work was actually grateful to me and I suppose he made
good money doing those re-habs. Today, now he is very sick and bed ridden this year....probably from breathing in
all the chemicals in those **** holes...

This loss of work did not hurt my bottom line one bit, we were still chugging along just fine doing good jobs
You know , if you do this work for 40+ years and you still have to dance with every nasty pig that comes along ,
then you might be doing something wrong....

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Those nasty calls can go to hell too...
. I had a company that seemed to have all section 8 work to do and they
even had some hell hole apartments full of druggies on our side of town...
I did a few calls for them and I could see, feel, and taste mostly trouble and danger too....

Then I got an emergency call from them and I had to open up the side of a kitchen sink wall to get to a leak
goinng up to the third floor....I thought the bugs, lice and roaches were gonna drag me under the kitchen sink and eat me....
Then they wanted the cost to re-do 2 apartments that caught on fire due to meth making in that same building
Of course They wanted to re-plumb these meth apartments
two summers ago just exactly at the time I was going out of town ....

I told them to just get someone else to mess with that hell hole and go ahead and give that guy do all the shi//y service calls
in the crack parts of town.. my gift to him. ... The guy that got the work was actually grateful to me and I suppose he made
good money doing those re-habs. Today, now he is very sick and bed ridden this year....probably from breathing in
all the chemicals in those **** holes...

This loss of work did not hurt my bottom line one bit, we were still chugging along just fine doing good jobs
You know , if you do this work for 40+ years and you still have to dance with every nasty pig that comes along ,
then you might be doing something wrong....
So true,but we don't all get to inherit and take over an already established company where you start making profit day 1 out the door,sometimes you gotta take what you can get

·
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
So true,but we don't all get to inherit and take over an already established company where you start making profit day 1 out the door,sometimes you gotta take what you can get
Sparkey True..to a point... our company basically crashed and burned in the late 70s and into the 80s
My family lost some huge contracts that kept the doors open but we still had to somehow keep a crew busy doing
whatever kind of work available to make payroll..... been there and done that.. and we were certainly not making profit
and basically trying to survive...... in hindsight should have just laid everyone off and everyone would have been
happier....
It was not a pleasent time working for builders and getting stiffed every year or two, and employees
just sitting back acting like they were doing us a favor showing up in the morning.....

Those days are over...
So believe me or not, I had to re-invent our company from close to the ground up from the mid 80s
until now ..... I went cold turkey on all construction work and bathroom remodels
because I dont need to churn dollars for dollars to make payroll for a bunch of employees any longer.....

I dont know if we would actually be doing all that well if it were
not for the stickers I have thrown out there in every home I have stepped into over the past 30 years
and the majic of Google, the internet and the power of advertising-------- but times are certainly different

I am staying the course

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Sparkey True..to a point... our company basically crashed and burned in the late 70s and into the 80s
My family lost some huge contracts that kept the doors open but we still had to somehow keep a crew busy doing
whatever kind of work available to make payroll..... been there and done that.. and we were certainly not making profit
and basically trying to survive...... in hindsight should have just laid everyone off and everyone would have been
happier....
It was not a pleasent time working for builders and getting stiffed every year or two, and employees
just sitting back acting like they were doing us a favor showing up in the morning.....

Those days are over...
So believe me or not, I had to re-invent our company from close to the ground up from the mid 80s
until now ..... I went cold turkey on all construction work and bathroom remodels
because I dont need to churn dollars for dollars to make payroll for a bunch of employees any longer.....

I dont know if we would actually be doing all that well if it were
not for the stickers I have thrown out there in every home I have stepped into over the past 30 years
and the majic of Google, the internet and the power of advertising-------- but times are certainly different

I am staying the course
Oh I believe you for sure,you had to change the company to what makes you the most money with the least amount of labor and headache,I would have done the same thing

·
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Oh I believe you for sure,you had to change the company to what makes you the most money with the least amount of labor and headache,I would have done the same thing
Hey Sparkey, , even as spoiled as I am, I did a nasty call today.....
.I had to get someone out of trouble and lead in a 6 inch deep cast iron flange.
It turned out that I had the last 6 inch cast flange in
the city still laying in our shop.... Then it took me about an hour to find our lead ladle's and okaum to lead in this pig
I got lucky

That 6 inch deep cast flange has not seen the light of day in 10 years and it got used today.....

I have not poured a lead joint in probably 5 years...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I was visiting Hillwood Estate in Washington DC a few months ago. In the kitchen, the drain lines below the multiple compartment sink are plumbed in hard brass pipe. To the average visitor, probably not even noticed. But, to a plumber it's a jaw dropper.
Here's a few pics of the kitchen. This installation was probably prewar.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Hey Sparkey, , even as spoiled as I am, I did a nasty call today.....
.I had to get someone out of trouble and lead in a 6 inch deep cast iron flange.
It turned out that I had the last 6 inch cast flange in
the city still laying in our shop.... Then it took me about an hour to find our lead ladle's and okaum to lead in this pig
I got lucky

That 6 inch deep cast flange has not seen the light of day in 10 years and it got used today.....

I have not poured a lead joint in probably 5 years...

Cool,see it never pays to clean the shop up and toss out a bunch of dust collector items,hope that 6" flange made you a lot of money today,what you charge just to be curious???

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
.............. I did a nasty call today.....

You think that's a nasty call? :rolleyes:

·
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
You think that's a nasty call? :rolleyes:

No not really.,,, it was clean ---I know what a nasty call looks like
just been trying to steer clear of them as much as I can..

Remember I said I was spoiled....

I was just grateful to have that deep, deep flange in stock
cause their was not another one in town .. I was about to just
walk away from that call and come back another day when I
found some of those deep flanges.... their was no way I was
tearing into that slab floor--

.gonna have to order a few more of them
I can probably find them on line

Cool,see it never pays to clean the shop up and toss out a bunch of dust collector items,hope that 6" flange made you a lot of money today,what you charge just to be curious???
Not really enough....$275.
It was for a freind of a freind

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
You
No not really.,,, it was clean ---I know what a nasty call looks like
just been trying to steer clear of them as much as I can..

Remember I said I was spoiled....

I was just grateful to have that deep, deep flange in stock
cause their was not another one in town .. I was about to just
walk away from that call and come back another day when I
found some of those deep flanges.... their was no way I was
tearing into that slab floor--

.gonna have to order a few more of them
I can probably find them on line

Not really enough....$275.
It was for a freind of a freind
you lost money lolololololo,maybe next time

·
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
You

you lost money lolololololo,maybe next time
It was a charity kind of thing.... really fairly simple
so I am ok with it.......

Out of curiosity what would you have charged for a cast iron
flange and setting the toilet??

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

@OpenSights

This should be moved to the business lounge.

Probably ~400$ all done for me. How was it removing the old flange?

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
@OpenSights

This should be moved to the business lounge.

Probably ~400$ all done for me. How was it removing the old flange?
It pulled out in about a minute so it was mostly going off on a hunt for
the 6 inch flange and finding my ladels and lead....

no big deal really...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts

$700.00 if all went well,maybe more as difficulty came about,
I quoted a lady 500.00 to remove and reinstall a new dishwasher,told her I might have to do some different plumbing,she was good with it,went and did job,slid old one out new one back in hooked up exactly as it should,gave her the bill she said,"well it won't be as much since you didn't have to do any pipe moving",I looked at her in the eye and told her,"I got lucky but you didn't, pay me $500.00 bucks and she did lolololololololo

·
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
$700.00 if all went well,maybe more as difficulty came about,
I quoted a lady 500.00 to remove and reinstall a new dishwasher,told her I might have to do some different plumbing,she was good with it,went and did job,slid old one out new one back in hooked up exactly as it should,gave her the bill she said,"well it won't be as much since you didn't have to do any pipe moving",I looked at her in the eye and told her,"I got lucky but you didn't, pay me $500.00 bucks and she did lolololololololo
If you can get that every day good for you.....

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
It pulled out in about a minute so it was mostly going off on a hunt for
the 6 inch flange and finding my ladels and lead....

no big deal really...
You ever try lead wool? It packs really nicely and you'd never know it wasn't poured.

I keep some oakum on the van for small leaks in basement walls/penetrations. I keep lead wool too in case the gap is quite large and I need to backup the oakum. All of the oakum we have is ancient and it's still good as new. I've opened 100yr+ joints to find the oakum still good. That pine tar is some amazing stuff.

·
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
You ever try lead wool? It packs really nicely and you'd never know it wasn't poured.

I keep some oakum on the van for small leaks in basement walls/penetrations. I keep lead wool too in case the gap is quite large and I need to backup the oakum. All of the oakum we have is ancient and it's still good as new. I've opened 100yr+ joints to find the oakum still good. That pine tar is some amazing stuff.
we used to have it laying around long ago but the okaum does good enough
also used to have a roll of asbestos rope laying around too , it was used to
caulk in cracks on boiler doors... we threw that out long ago too

I am on the hunt now for a couple of 6 inch cast iron flanges, my local salesmen dont think
they even make them that long any more.....

has anyone seen them on line anywhere??

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
we used to have it laying around long ago but the okaum does good enough
also used to have a roll of asbestos rope laying around too , it was used to
caulk in cracks on boiler doors... we threw that out long ago too

I am on the hunt now for a couple of 6 inch cast iron flanges, my local salesmen dont think
they even make them that long any more.....

has anyone seen them on line anywhere??
We have a couple at our shop but they aren't for sale. We keep them for this one commercial operation which has several dozen. We change one once every couple years.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777
61 - 80 of 83 Posts