Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Well, I walked away from this mess..... It turns out he actually is ordering some antique crane toilets
that match this design and he plans on installing them in place of the cracked bowls ....
In his own words.. this is gonna go smooth---
finding the correct spud and possibly a new 1 1/2 elbow ought to be fun

I wished him
luck cause he is gonna need it....
I don’t blame you one bit,me and you have our own businesses and can’t afford to be tied up on junk like this for days and days but if we were just working for a company it would be different,you would loose more money turning down jobs than you would make fooling with this ancient crappers

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I think MARK is talking about a wall mounted tanks,

I dont know what direction this guy is gonna go.... first it was tank type toilets, then now he is getting
some antique junk from somewhere and is gonna try to make it work.....

You look at the bottom of that sloan valve and it appears you could possibly use a flanged tailpiece washer and
a 1 1/2 brass kitchen elbow and fit that thing together..... I hope he is gonna put on a new spud too

Its all got to fall into place without a hitch..... if it done line up perfectly
its going to be the crying game,,,,

and I wish him the best...

Toilet seat Plumbing fixture Property Toilet Bathroom

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think that if you can get this stuff to come apart, and that is if, and if the worms or threads on the stem and faucet body are not badly worn out. You may be able to clean them up with a brush, sand cloth etc. Grease everything with silicone grease, replace washers, use Teflon packing or roll long strands of Teflon tape for packing you may be able to put it back in working order. You can even grind down the top of the seats if they are integral with the faucet body and are pitted. These do not look as heavy as old Kohler faucets from the 20's, but they could be. I have done this on old Kohler faucets this old and they were incredibly heavy and were just corroded badly. It was miraculous how well they worked after cleaning and greasing. An old man told me many years ago, "grease is cheap boy, use it". That is one of our biggest problems with faucets (and flush meters) today. If one is a new work plumber then one will just slap the new one in and get gone never intending to be back. I am a repair plumber and I do still have customers calling me for repairs on 200 year old houses 37 years later. SO, LISTEN UP, grease all threads on all faucets and even flush meters, filters, Basket strainers, whatever because the plumber that has to come back and service the faucet etc. may be you and if it is greased properly it may just come apart easily. The extra time that you take to do this will pay off in the future.
Thanks Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
I go out to a home down south that has sections build as far back as 1840
and it has another area built in 1863 and most of the plumbing from the early 20s...

he claims it was an underground rail road building with a tunnel to the next building about a
block away.......

the guy wants to repair 3 of these tub faucets and I am not sure if this is even possible
they are Crane from about 1920 or earlier

also wants to upgrade he toilets to tank type which would mean reducing the water line in the wall
and coming out with 1/2 or 3/8th which looks like a fun time too......

View attachment 130375

View attachment 130376 View attachment 130377

View attachment 130378
Just where "down south" are you talking about?

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
They want old. you can't put new old in in most cases.
You're yelling at the deaf. Most of these guys can't comprehend why a customer would want to use old plumbing fixtures. Many of them don't even carry seats/washers on the van.

Some of them even drive open body pick-ups to service calls!!!! :oops:

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
and that means we are the best of the best,we. Know what we need and don't have $15,000.00 in material driving up and down the road collecting dust
I regularly use 80% of my material. My tools take up more space than my parts. None of my stuff gets rained on and I almost never call back for parts or make a supply house run. That right there is efficiency and more money in the company's pockets. Good for me when I get my bonus/raise/profit sharing.

But hey, some guys need an excuse to run and grab a bud in the middle of a call ;)

Reactions: MACPLUMB777
41 - 53 of 53 Posts