Anyone Have Women In Their Shop?

7K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  H2O_Fixer 
#1 ·
Just Curious.

I have only plumbed with a women once in a shop

Anyone else?

And no bring your wife to work , does not count :rolleyes:

And while we are on the subject,

Do you think there should be more women in the workplace?

#6 ·
i like to think all "equality for all" and all that and in a perfect world where everyone had the same qualifications it would be great. i've only worked with one woman plumber and i tell myself that i can't make any gender judgments based on her. she was a terrible plumber and worker in general. she was lazy, had no energy or strength, easily distracted and just a bad plumber. i KNOW all woman plumbers are not like her but that is my only experience.

that said, i've known plenty of girls and women that weren't plumbers but i know damned well if they wanted to be one they could be as good or better than i could be. and most of them were easy on the eyes too. :thumbup: i think the stigma of what a plumber is makes most women not want to be one. not to mention the general blue collar stigma. go to college and get a real job so you can support yourself and your family. trades don't have the respect they once had and everyone can feel it.

on another note. if you took the total woman plumber population and then did a proficiency test i'd bet the % of qualified women would be higher than the % of qualified men "plumbers" out there. :cry:

paul

#7 ·
My lovely wife can run PEX heat lines better than many men. Pure feminine woman, no "tough attitude" from her. But she is tougher than most women I know. Most men for that matter. But her toughness is the real deal. Inside, where it counts. She would make a good tech with some more training. But those days are over. Thank God! It was hard on her body.

#8 ·
There is actually a woman that is a licensed plumber works for a company here in town, she has been there for years, we also have a woman plumbing inspector, you don't get to be an inspector without first being a plumber. Then there was a time in a shop I worked at we had a woman apprentice come in to work, she resigned 4 months later.

So they are here just rare when you see them..

#10 ·
There is a plumbing company here that is owned by a woman, also has female employees. Now at my last job employed they hired this girl, who also liked girls, but she never did anything, wasn't very good either at anything. I think it is risky because of the legalities that could arise if she just didnt work out and you had to fire one.

#12 ·
I would have loved to have been a carpenter. I worked for a G.C. for a time and going in the field was torture. In the office I was respected but in the field, you felt like a piece of meat. That was 15 years ago - times have changed.

My husband respects women, but a female plumber would have to be every bit as strong as a man to be considered. Plumbing is still a man's trade.

#19 ·
I'm still doing something wrong. When I am on your post and hit the QUOTE button, the entire posts shows up in the Reply to thread window. If I select a portion of text and use the QUOTE button, the same thing happens.

How do you get the '.' in someone's post to control the quote? I tried the multi-quote and the same thing happened. Apparently I am missing something.... grrrrr.

#21 ·
Plumbcrazy said:
Apparently I am missing something.... grrrrr.
There's a button on the reply window that looks like a cartoon bubble. That's the quote button.

To quote a piece of text, highlight it with your mouse, then click on the quote button and the quote/unquote tags will appear at the ends of the line that was highlighted.

To attribute the quote to a person, go inside the first quote tag and add an equal sign and quotation marks around the name, like this:

QUOTE="Plumbcrazy"

#26 ·
The only women I could have in my office/shop/crew would have to be extremely ugly women that have to wear men's clothes because female clothes don't fit them right.

And even then, the sight would be so depressing that I'd question life and its existence for hiring something like that.

But good looking women? No way. No work will ever get done.:no:

#29 ·
I currently have a woman service tech. I hired her two years ago and taught her everything she knows. She would put a lot of guys to shame with her knowledge. And her strength. The strength part I didn't teach, but she isn't the kind of woman you would want to mess with, if you know what I mean, lol. She's a really good person.

Be careful old guys, a black president and women plumbers. Kinda makes you wonder if you're doing your part, doesn't it? LOL........

#30 ·
i've been approached by a couple of women for jobs.

i asked them if they could pick up a 100lb object and move it. they said "no", i just want to bath you at the end of the day.:blink:

i'm a nice guy, just a little slow on the uptake sometimes.:laughing:

to be honest, i think women would add a lot to the trades. a lot of the women up here are stronger than most of the men.:laughing:

the problem is, they're too distracting to weak minded men. like a bunch of teenagers all horned up.

Vince

#31 ·
Let me give you a different perspective on women in certain jobs. My wife and I have had this argument for better than twenty years.

I have no problem with women in any job, as long as they can do the job, period.

My wife on the other hand has BIG problems with women in certain jobs. (auto mechanic, plumber, electrician, carpenter, President of the United States of America, etc, etc, etc....)

Keep in mind that this "attitude" is from a woman who was in the military. She knows that women can do these jobs. She also knows that, if they are qualified, they should be given the same opportunity as a man.

Her problem is on a more deeply ingrained mental level. To her, there are just some jobs that women can't be good at. She does not have confidance in their abilities. Before you respond with an anger filled response, remember that these are HER attitudes NOT mine.

You can hire the most qualified woman in the world, and I certainly would have no problem working with them. But ultimately it's the customer that has to have faith in the woman's ability to do the job.
Customers can be a pretty finicky lot. I have numerous customers that will only allow me in their homes. If something comes up and we send someone else after they have requested that I be sent, they will turn them away.
While I love the confidence that they have in me, I always remind them that we wouldn't send anyone to their house that we didn't feel could take care of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.