Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just Curious.

I have only plumbed with a women once in a shop

Anyone else?

And no bring your wife to work , does not count :rolleyes:

And while we are on the subject,

Do you think there should be more women in the workplace?

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, There are plenty of tuff women out there, I just think they would feel weird as most shops are mostly men, but if more women were on job sites that would be better

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i like to think all "equality for all" and all that and in a perfect world where everyone had the same qualifications it would be great. i've only worked with one woman plumber and i tell myself that i can't make any gender judgments based on her. she was a terrible plumber and worker in general. she was lazy, had no energy or strength, easily distracted and just a bad plumber. i KNOW all woman plumbers are not like her but that is my only experience.

that said, i've known plenty of girls and women that weren't plumbers but i know damned well if they wanted to be one they could be as good or better than i could be. and most of them were easy on the eyes too. :thumbup: i think the stigma of what a plumber is makes most women not want to be one. not to mention the general blue collar stigma. go to college and get a real job so you can support yourself and your family. trades don't have the respect they once had and everyone can feel it.

on another note. if you took the total woman plumber population and then did a proficiency test i'd bet the % of qualified women would be higher than the % of qualified men "plumbers" out there. :cry:

paul

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
My lovely wife can run PEX heat lines better than many men. Pure feminine woman, no "tough attitude" from her. But she is tougher than most women I know. Most men for that matter. But her toughness is the real deal. Inside, where it counts. She would make a good tech with some more training. But those days are over. Thank God! It was hard on her body.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
There is actually a woman that is a licensed plumber works for a company here in town, she has been there for years, we also have a woman plumbing inspector, you don't get to be an inspector without first being a plumber. Then there was a time in a shop I worked at we had a woman apprentice come in to work, she resigned 4 months later.

So they are here just rare when you see them..

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
When I was running new high rise work years ago I rarely had a crew that did not have at least one woman plumber, usually more than one. I usually had them work on the second rough crew because they were more detail oriented.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
There is a plumbing company here that is owned by a woman, also has female employees. Now at my last job employed they hired this girl, who also liked girls, but she never did anything, wasn't very good either at anything. I think it is risky because of the legalities that could arise if she just didnt work out and you had to fire one.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Not in plumbing. When I had a construction company we had a woman for about 2 weeks. Had to let her go because the guys all acted as though they never saw a woman before. She told me she felt a bit uncomfortable even though no one ever got physical.

·
Banned
913 Posts
I would have loved to have been a carpenter. I worked for a G.C. for a time and going in the field was torture. In the office I was respected but in the field, you felt like a piece of meat. That was 15 years ago - times have changed.

My husband respects women, but a female plumber would have to be every bit as strong as a man to be considered. Plumbing is still a man's trade.

·
Banned
913 Posts
WOW - I am thrown by that statement,

So, not true
Think about it! I bet there are less than 1% women plumbers. Not necessarily because they are kept out, but because most women would not want the job due to the ick factor.

I know of only 1 female Master Plumber in our city and I don't think she is actually plumbing. She just holds a Master's card.

Hubby did a ton of commercial work prior to us going into business and he did not run across any females either.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
One company I worked or several years ago had a few females that did water piping for condos. There work was excellent and very detailed. However, no cast iron or any dwv work.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Think about it! I bet there are less than 1% women plumbers. Not necessarily because they are kept out, but because most women would not want the job due to the ick factor.

I know of only 1 female Master Plumber in our city and I don't think she is actually plumbing. She just holds a Master's card.

Hubby did a ton of commercial work prior to us going into business and he did not run across any females either.
IN 1920 women could not Vote....You want to give that up to?

Can you HONESTLY tell me that you would not want to be respected in this industry?

Do you think because you are a women, you are not qualified?

Let me tell you one thing and IF your husband is a plumber you will relate.

"Behind every good man, Stands a STRONGER women"

You know what I mean........Us men all come home and cry to our wifes. "Honey, what am I going to do"

I am just man enough to admit it.

Give yourself more credit and stand up in this industry and make a difference. Hell, I am :)

·
Banned
913 Posts
IN 1920 women could not Vote....You want to give that up to?
I'm not conceding to anything. Just pointing out the reality in percentages.

Can you HONESTLY tell me that you would not want to be respected in this industry? I would want the respect I have earned in any industry. I love the business side and admire all tradesman (plumbing is a profession I know). For the record, I am respected in the industry on a local level. I have spoken publically numerous times regarding the industry and have been published twice in our local paper. However, I have no desire to be a plumber (I admit, the ick factor). I would have loved to have been a carpenter though.

Do you think because you are a women, you are not qualified? I am not qualified because I do not have the training. It has nothing to do with being a female. I truly believe women can be as good and some even better than their male counterparts. I am not a sexist. If my daughters wanted to become plumbers, I would encourage them all the way. It just wasn't my dream. As a female in this industry, I do fight for what I believe in and my place in it. I even had to fight to remain a member of Plumbing Zone because some thought Professional Plumbing site was only for plumbers - not necessarily business owners.

Let me tell you one thing and IF your husband is a plumber you will relate.

"Behind every good man, Stands a STRONGER women" My husband would agree wholeheartedly! We are partners in every sense of the word.

You know what I mean........Us men all come home and cry to our wifes. "Honey, what am I going to do"

I am just man enough to admit it.

Give yourself more credit and stand up in this industry and make a difference. Hell, I am :) I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I feel defeated in any way? I'm not a quitter and plan to stay in the plumbing field.

I KNOW I AM GOOD AT WHAT I DO!!!
My responses are in red. Still haven't not taken the time to fiqure out how to separate into individual quotes.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My responses are in red. Still haven't not taken the time to fiqure out how to separate into individual quotes.
Nice answers and Thanks for responding, Yea, I see your points now :)

I like a good "forum thread" :)

To separate quotes just wrap the [.quote.] and then [./quote]

Like this

[.quote=Plumbcrazy;20811]My responses are in red. Still haven't not taken the time to fiqure out how to separate into individual quotes.[./quote]

I just PUT "." dots in front of the "quote" and the end quote other wise the forum would actually quote the quote , if that makes sense

So just remove my > . <

Now if you will also notice you will see [.quote=Plumbcrazy;20811]

If you do that on the beginning it will show the user Vs just using the [.quote.] but you always need a END quote as well [./quote.]

Once again remember to remove my dots

If you want to multi quote posts , you will see the

Just hit that button for every users post you want to quote and then the last one you will hit
and that is called a "multi-quote"

·
Banned
913 Posts
I'm still doing something wrong. When I am on your post and hit the QUOTE button, the entire posts shows up in the Reply to thread window. If I select a portion of text and use the QUOTE button, the same thing happens.

How do you get the '.' in someone's post to control the quote? I tried the multi-quote and the same thing happened. Apparently I am missing something.... grrrrr.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts