Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 28 year old Journeyman Plumber who lives in a suburb of VAncovuer BC (Coquitlam BC, CAnada) who has been in the trade for just over 4 1/2 years. I got my Inter-Provincial Red Seal in the trade of Plumbing about 6 monthes ago, as well as my 'B' Gas fitting ticket.

I started my trade by taking Piping Entry Level Trades Training which started in early 2004. At the time it was a 30 week course (now reduced to 26 weeks apparently - I got it done in 23 weeks because I wanted to get out and get a job) which involves various shop projects, classroom, and work at your own pace theory. It's a great program and it was a good introduction for me. It also gave me 1st year school apprenticeship credit in the 4 main piping trades: Plumbing, GAsfitting, Steamfitting & Sprinklerfitting so I could go get a job in any of these trades and get credit towards my hours as well as the next school session I go to would be 2nd year in whichever of these trades I chose to go into.

I have worked for 3 companies to date:

The 1st company I started working for right out of school did somewhat interesting industrial & commercial stuff but the boss, and especially the bosses brother were outright A-holes and I found this out after starting to talk around, as well as watching several people come and go in the 3 monthes I was there.

The 2nd company I worked for was the complete opposite - 2 brothers who started up their own company who were great guys, but on the plumbing end of things all we did were warehouse gas jobs which are pretty easy to master (mainly unit heaters) as well as condo projects which gives you good experience in reptition but gets old after a while. So after almost 2 years working for them I made a strictly professional decision that as an apprentice at the time, I wanted to get into something more interesting/diverse, etc.

So I switched to a company that does mainly high end homes in West Vancouver British Properties, VAncouver, & North Vancouver, as well as a little bit of Whistler and a few other municipalities as the company has expanded. The learning curve was steep but I have learned a tremendous amount of stuff and I have come to love the hydronic heating end of it. I really love doing mechanical rooms with wall mounted condensing boilers (or electric versions), and/or with geothermal heat pumps, as well as radiant floors. I also enjoy doing gas fitting as well. In fact I like the heating end of it so much that I am almost done a 6 weekend course on hydronic design (heat loss calculations, radiant panel design, pump sizing, indirect HWT sizing, expansion tank sizing, pipe sizing, etc.). It's interesting but also kinda boring too as you just sit there and plug formulas into your calculator knowing full well that when you're doing this in the field you'll be using one of the many heat loss calculation programs out there that does it all for you. But the program has greatly enhanced my understanding of radiant floor installations and how heating works which is key. My experience to date before taking this course has also great enhanced what I can take out of it.

I'm also a bit of a tool aficicondo (did I spell that right?). I love my Milwaukee V28 set which I have had for over 2 years now. I also got the V28 right angle drill. I'm a firm believer in the right tool for the right job and in comparison to my peers at my level I go above and beyond as far as owning tools goes. I'm not rediculous about it neccessarily but let me say several of my own tools have gone a long way in making a difference in saving time and quality of work. And there's always more out there to buy too. I also believe in buying quality tools over crap if it's something you need to perform day in and day out.

Anyways - any other BC'ers on here?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the long into, Welcome to PZ.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey uaplumber,

You wouldn't happen to know a guy by the name of Justin D. would you? A guy I work with worked up in Alberta I believe in your area between mid 2002 until 2004-ish and he had a business partner up there? He lives in Coquitlam as well.

·
Banned
383 Posts
welcome aboard, and happy canadian thanksgiving. so your a condensing boiler guy. im dealing w/ a canadian made nti boiler thats no older than an 06. im having an ignition problem. i dont have the manuel and the plumber that installed it wont return phone calls. the customer said they only used it one season and it worked fine. i checked the flame sensor and ignitor and they look great. the fan engages but its like im not getting fuel. so before i go ripping, just wanted to know if youve run into similar problems and if there is something im overlooking.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
welcome aboard, and happy canadian thanksgiving. so your a condensing boiler guy. im dealing w/ a canadian made nti boiler thats no older than an 06. im having an ignition problem. i dont have the manuel and the plumber that installed it wont return phone calls. the customer said they only used it one season and it worked fine. i checked the flame sensor and ignitor and they look great. the fan engages but its like im not getting fuel. so before i go ripping, just wanted to know if youve run into similar problems and if there is something im overlooking.
I can't speak of the NTI - never dealt or seen them before. Out here we install a lot of IBC's (http://www.ibcboiler.com - fantastic condensing boilers that are made/based out of Vancouver, BC, with fantastic product support), the odd Buderus or Viessmann.

Not really a "boiler" guy just yet - more of a guy who's installed a fair amount of boilers and done the odd service call but I'm not service tech, technically. But I must say installing boilers is one of my favourite things to do, and I aspire to become more knowledgeable in the field. There's something special when you fire the boiler up for that first time and feel the pumps start pumping and the pipes get hot.

Here's a link: http://www.nythermal.com/Products/boilers/gas/trinity.htm

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome scott.
I am from alberta, just got my red seal about 2 years ago. goin for first class ( a ) gas this summer. nice to see ya spread out your apprenticeship. best thing a guy can do. i did the same thing. very glad did not stick in one industry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts