Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been on 3 pool jobs recently for various repairs and upgrades. Now, I can do PVC with the best of them, but I will say there is a bit of a learning curve with the piping and design aspect. I must say it is enjoyable. I like the challenge of figuring out how things were done and how to improve upon them as well as sizing new pumps and filtration systems. So yesterday I finished one of them, all new piping for a new 400kbtu heater. I did a heater bypass valve setup with a check valve and a bunch of other things like getting the solar working again. Client asked me yesterday to figure out a system and price to automate all the functions that exist manually right now. However I just rewired the entire setup, of which about 50% needs to be removed for the automated system, but I am still designing it right now. Point is, I haven't been this excited to do research since I started in Tankless heaters. Maybe I am just bored cause my family is out of town for vacation (daddy has to work) but this has got me interested to a point where I am thinking about getting into this more. I figure with a backround in plumbing (emphasized with tankless, which is all a pool heater really is) as well as my electrical experience I think there could be some good money in this. All the automation is really cool. Did you know they make pool pumps that are 100% variable...pretty cool stuff! They also make chlorine systems that run off regular table salt...no more red eyes or dry skin, you can swim under water with eyes open with no irritation...sorry, I know, I'm rambling. Who else is into pool work...what do you think about it?

·
Trust me. I'm a doctor.
934 Posts
The closest I ever got to doing pool work is when a freind of mine who puts in swimming pools for municipalities called me because they had a community swimming pool that was losing something like a couple of hundred thousand gallons of water a day. They were keeping it filled by a 2" water service that ran 24hrs a day. It seems that one of the 4" return line was broken somewhere and the water was going to a seepage system that tied into a storm sewer drain. He wanted to know if I could find the leak with my sewer camera! It was a huge pool with a lazy river and everything.

To make a long story longer, I said I would give it a try and went to the jobsite. To my surprise, he wanted me to camera from what they call the surge pit. It was under the building where the pumps and filters were and was about the size of a swimming pool in its self and full of water. I told him they would have to drain it and call me back. He said that in order to drain the pit they would have to drain the pool and close the community pool down and that was not an option. He said I will need to have a diver. :eek:
As luck would have it, an apprentice who worked for me was a certified diver and has his own scuba gear.:thumbsup:

Two days of work poolside and success! Leak was found and isolated.
Chaa Ching!!!!

I have since done two more pools for him over the last few years.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Pools suck!

Na, just kidding. If you can get a foot in the door it is a fantastic way to pick up extra money. I'm all in favor of diversification. The more things you can do, the better chance you have to ride out this crap economy and the next four years.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I agree. I was approached by a pool store to consider doing leak repair which is sort of untapped. Didnt know how much expensive and diverse leak finding equipment there is and did I mention expensive. I am mixed about learning new because it can mean that expensive hard knocks learning curve--but the need for revenue does motivate.

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
I have done several water parks and community pools. A lot of 12 and 14 inch schedule 80 PVC. I really dug the surge tanks, pumps, filters and chemical piping. I wish I had a camera phone back then. I did some pretty insanely sweet work, like wrapping 3 walls with 1/2" and 3/4" sched 80 PVC chemical piping, putting unistrut every 32 inches so the pipe wouldn't sag between hangers. This one project manager hated me, because I brought a microwave, lawnchairs and a radio down into the surge tank and set up a couple of cut off 14" pieces with caps as footstools. However, that was only for break time, he thought I was stroking him, whatever. But when he saw my work, he had a change of heart about me and he started bringing visitors to the site to the surge tank and showing off my work. If I had to new construction, water parks and pools is what I would do. I actually drug up from a waterpark to start my own shop.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I've got plans for 2 city pools on my desk right now. Stimulus $$. Gotta love it.

I'll try and post more. I'm feeling much better now:thumbup: The A'hole in me has resurfaced:yes:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I do pools. I charge $125 just to come out and look at the job though because it's such a trivial thing. Most people don't want to pay you any more than the pool guy. I do lots of solar pool heating, some heat pumps, leak location and repair.

You can make good money if you’re in the right area and have a good rate structure.

·
Registered
151 Posts
We have only done repairs on residential pools, easy and fast. But what I love bidding and doing are the residential water parks with the water shoots, flumes and dump buckets. Fun to test in the summer, not so much in the winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts