Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Take a rubber hose and cut off one end and stick in in the hot side of the tank and use the pump to drain

Element; screw in a 1 inch male adapter that has a hose connection on the other end and start to drain it from the element. Gas; disconnect the control and repeat the process for the element. Make sure the water is turned off and there is an air lock.

·
Banned
8,893 Posts
I cap off the hot side and screw an adapter on the cold side that has an air chuck fitting...air that baby up and she's empty in less than 10.
I've had to do that a number of times -- Works like a charm.:yes:

If the drain isn't plugged and it's a straight-out remove and replace, I use a water bed pump -- Drains it down in about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Personally, I think it doesn't matter as much how to drain the heater as the order you do it in. Here most heaters are in the basement and you need a floor drain by code. I just cut the supply and hot pipe, move the heater out of the way starting it draining, and hook up the new heater. By the time i'm done, it's usually completely empty or at least empty enough that I can brake the valve off and drain the rest out. In areas where that isn't possible I usually just wait. It isn't worth having a pump or anything as 99% of the heaters I replace aren't an issue.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I carry a setup made from a couple of nipples, a ball valve and a hose adapter. We have lots of hard water sediment and it just won't go through the itty bitty openings in the factory valves.

In extreme situations, you can shove a coat hanger or something through the rig to break the lime free.

If there's no drain in a basement, I add the shrader valve/gas test rig to the top of the unit and bring my compressor. That's usually a lot faster than gravity draining.

And if there's a lot of lime, I cut the water heater in half with a sawzall and carry the two parts out separately after bucketing the lime from the bottom half. After draining, of course.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,659 Posts
Note: The model 331 is not intended for use in wet or damp areas.
Yep! Don't put it in a puddle just like your drill or sawzall....

But it will have that tank empty in a couple of minutes pumping about 22 gpm so you can get it out of the basement....

·
Mark
1,400 Posts
Leave water on when you open the drain....or use a short hose and blow to get er started, head out for a new tank while she's drainin. ..had a direct vent hooked up to a furnace for space heat......got literally 5 pounds of sand out of the faucets too after I was done....had to backflush furnace....the tank must have had 50 pounds of silt at least...

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I had one thad had a hole on the sid the size of a quarter wat I did was connect my ram with the hore attachment pumt to ten and shot that crap away from the drain port drained bust fine. Other than that I sually #lush out all the crap before I turn the water off or use thecombressor method

·
Pipes & pucks
663 Posts
revenge said:
I had one thad had a hole on the sid the size of a quarter wat I did was connect my ram with the hore attachment pumt to ten and shot that crap away from the drain port drained bust fine. Other than that I sually #lush out all the crap before I turn the water off or use thecombressor method
I love reading your posts. It makes my head spin!! Better than drugs.

·
I Married Up
16,933 Posts
WTH Revenge?!?!. :wacko:

What happened to the regular keyboard?

·
Registered
402 Posts
What I do is hook up my hose to the drain with the water on, an then pressure flush(cold inlet valve open, drain valve open) until the water comes out clean. 9 times out of 10 this keeps water heaters from draining slow.

For the heaters that still won't drain even after flushing, air-lock it and put a nipple with a ball valve and a hose adapter through either the control valve or lower element. As an added bonus, lower element hole is big enough to snake your shop vac hose through to get the last bit

Sent from my iPhon

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

That hore attachment can do wonders.

Paul

21 - 40 of 64 Posts