Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a feeling there are'nt too many Union guy's who are Plumbing Zone. Too bad, this is a good site.

·
Registered
378 Posts
We've only bein up and running for a week or so ,so give it a chance,we've built it "they will come"....I crack myself up.Killer is in the union I think.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I started union as an apprentice. Local 774. By the time I had five years in, I was having trouble getting work. This was very early 70's and non-union scabs were taking over. But here's the thing: they were working for a couple bucks less per hour (commercial) and working all year 'round. Union guys were having to travel all over and were working maybe six months out of the year. And how are they doing in Michigan now? (. . . where I'm from.)

After watching a lot of commercial people go under to the tune of big bucks, I decided to keep it smaller. I got jobs wherever I could and eventually went into business as residential.

Perhaps it was a mistake or a necessity for unions to mostly ignore residential plumbers instead of organizing them. I don't know.

But I still support unions and believe in the necessity of them. I'm saddened by the fact that unions have been busted. I'm also saddened that our corporate masters want to destroy the middle class. But there it is.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome Splinter.

I'm a 30 year member of Plumbers and Steamfitters Local 393 in San Jose, California.

We are a combonation local

1 - 20 of 55 Posts