Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Old (antique) Master
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today the art of faucet repair is to replace.

Well maybe some will spend the time to reseat.

Very few will spend the time to form a new seat with a seat tool.

Now years ago we even repaired valves. Not gate, but globe, radiator and compression were repaired if they could be.

Found this valve seat grinder in my shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
PLUMBER_BILL said:
Today the art of faucet repair is to replace.

Well maybe some will spend the time to reseat.

Very few will spend the time to form a new seat with a seat tool.

Now years ago we even repaired valves. Not gate, but globe, radiator and compression were repaired if they could be.

Found this valve seat grinder in my shop.
*scratches head* what's a seat?

·
I'm right your wrong
3,801 Posts
Apparently that thing brings new life to old seats. Does it work for car and truck seats? :whistling2:

·
Banned
6,275 Posts
sikxsevn said:
*scratches head* what's a seat?
Your joking rite??? It's the brass part of the valve body inside where the bib washer makes contact and seals or seats. Hens the name seat.... New shower valves and faucets have replaceable seats but old one didn't and when they got pitted you would grind the face of the seat down till you got a good flat surface for the Bibb washer to make a good seal or seat to. Iv done it a few times but never on a big valve Never seen a kit like that and I agree. Lot more replacing and less repair these days

·
Registered
360 Posts
I carry a small seat grinder kit on my truck. Can't remember the last time I used it. Should probably put it on the shelf beside the yarning iron.;)

·
Banned
6,275 Posts
smoldrn said:
I carry a small seat grinder kit on my truck. Can't remember the last time I used it. Should probably put it on the shelf beside the yarning iron.;)
What's a harming iron?? Is it for packing a lead joint??

·
Banned
6,275 Posts
Ok here are two wrenches my grandfather handed down to me... Of course I don't use them, they are sentimental to me... Does any body know how old they are?? One says trimo on it I guess that's the brand and they where bought in Philly P.A. If that helps. Any info would be great..,

Attachments

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts

·
Banned
6,275 Posts
Redwood said:
See... That was Easy... :laughing:

I dunno what are they selling for?

If it isn't a super expensive collectors item that if you messed it up would lose $10K in value why not work a day with Gramps wrenches...
Yea I mite. I have some rtu's to run gas pipe to in a week. Mite get some funny looks tho.... Laughing

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a pipe wrench with my grandfathers name engraved on it, made by "the ridge tool company", a red 14" steel handled one

Anyone know about how old it would be? It looks like a modern ridgid, but thename is different

·
Registered
418 Posts
sikxsevn said:
I have a pipe wrench with my grandfathers name engraved on it, made by "the ridge tool company", a red 14" steel handled one

Anyone know about how old it would be? It looks like a modern ridgid, but thename is different
Ummm... I just want to make sure this is not a sarcastic question... Not that I'm trying to be a jerk. Ridgid is the tool brand manufactured by the Ridge Tool Co. of Elyra, Ohio. Look at a newer ridgid wrench or look on their website you will see ridge tool co.

·
Banned
6,275 Posts
incarnatopnh said:
Ummm... I just want to make sure this is not a sarcastic question... Not that I'm trying to be a jerk. Ridgid is the tool brand manufactured by the Ridge Tool Co. of Elyra, Ohio. Look at a newer ridgid wrench or look on their website you will see ridge tool co.
I think what he is sayings That the wrench says " the ridgid tool company". On it. Not just "ridgid". And is asking when they changed the the wording on the wrench. I think.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Protech said:
That's some cool stuff bill. Thanks for sharing that with us. I wish there were more antique plumbing tools and equipment around.
If you're ever I'm Frederick Maryland, stop by, my company has tons of old plumbing tools. We also have a display case of old fixtures, lead and wood water pipes, and plenty of other history.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts