٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
Drained Professional
842 Posts
There's still pink bathrooms out there! OMG! ;)

Nice job, pro. But, gawd. I had a complete pink BR group for sale at a yard sale for $5 and I had to haul it away to the dump! :laughing:

Nice work but your solder joints get deducted from your cell airtime.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Mobile Home?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Oh is that what it was...:no:

Now go ahead and make fun of my horrible solder joints :laughing:. I was talkin on the phone while I soldered. :pirate:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
I can do those 3 handle to single faucet applications with 0 access to the backside.

Either expanding a 3 hole scenario or when a single handle faucet breaks, working inside a 4-3/4" hole without a remodel plate.

Doesn't matter if it is copper or cpvc; I transition to copper and faucet becomes self-supported through the sturdy piping.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I can do those 3 handle to single faucet applications with 0 access to the backside.

Either expanding a 3 hole scenario or when a single handle faucet breaks, working inside a 4-3/4" hole without a remodel plate.

Doesn't matter if it is copper or cpvc; I transition to copper and faucet becomes self-supported through the sturdy piping.
We have a ton of the old Mixit valves out here. When I would repipe a galvanize home with copper I would replace the valve through the valve hole without a smitty plate.

Mark

Reactions: DUNBAR PLUMBING

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In that scenario, you cut your smitty plate in a bit higher than where the 3-handle valve was. That gives you some room to put FIP adapters on the old galvo.

To clarify. You cut the siloute of the smitty plate so that the 2 outside holes of the old 3-handle valve are just barely hidden by the bottom of the smitty pan. I either cut and re-thread the riser or just move it over and make a loop of pipe (any type) to connect back on.

what about just a valve replacement thru the front of wall with old galvanized pipe

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I do it the same way when I can sell the HO on a new valve which is most of the time.

We have a ton of the old Mixit valves out here. When I would repipe a galvanize home with copper I would replace the valve through the valve hole without a smitty plate.

Mark

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I assume you mean that you are strapping the new copper to something right? If the feed lines where cpvc or pex coming out of the floor and you transition to copper just in the valve area it's still going to be floppy.

I usually strap the valve to backing (if present). If there is no backing I solder copper cross braces on the tub stubout and shower riser. When you tighten the screws for the escutcheon the valve clamps securely to the wall. After caulking/grouting the valve will be completely immobile no matter what type of supply piping is used.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts