Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy I am working for went to HD and picked up a Delta shower diverter. I opened the sealed box and he asked why and I told him to make sure there was a cap for the tub end in there. He said well it should not need one as it is a shower only diverter. I agreed and opened the box anyway, and sure enough it was a tub/shower diverter and it did have a cap. Odd I thought as the cover shows a shower only. Oh well, cap off the tub end and dont cry. Installed it and tried to install the cover arm that controlls the temp (Seperate arm from the on off) and this :censored: thing wont go on! Thats when I noticed the clips on the temp adjustment gear was broke off! Damn, I know what happened now. Some one tried to install it, broke the clips and put it back in the box and exchanged it. Now I got to go back and get another. had the same thing on a sliding shower door. Pulled out the parts and installed the doors (Job I posted the pix to which the toilet was on a slab) and all the parts to guid the doors was gone! No towell bar, rubber bumpers, lower track guid, nothing! Makes me want to scream sometimes

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Hope you charged the customer this additional labor and work. It is hard to do, but if that customer pics his material up and a big box store, it is not your fault it is messed up.

I always explain to the customer, if they choose to get their material from such a place, they need to open it up and triple check it, because they lose their little bit of savings real quick.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Hope you charged the customer this additional labor and work. It is hard to do, but if that customer pics his material up and a big box store, it is not your fault it is messed up.

I always explain to the customer, if they choose to get their material from such a place, they need to open it up and triple check it, because they lose their little bit of savings real quick.
Once again, I agree with westcoast. If they want to get their own stuff, its their responsibility to make sure its right, or I charge extra for the downtime.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
It still amazes me that so many of you buy from a company that wants to be your competition, I just don't get it. I buy nothing from Home Despair, are their prices that much cheaper? I can't imagine they are, and the customer service has got to be next to nil, so what's the reason?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
KTS I don't think anyone buys from HD, it's the client that makes the purchase, then there purchases are not always complete, this is what USP45 was saying.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Yea it sucks, if a client makes there own purchase, we give no warranty on supplied material, and is stated on the invoice.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
It still amazes me that so many of you buy from a company that wants to be your competition, I just don't get it. I buy nothing from Home Despair, are their prices that much cheaper? I can't imagine they are, and the customer service has got to be next to nil, so what's the reason?
You just typed verbatum exactly what I was going to.
I admit to buying stock there after hours when I haven't the time to wait in line at the supply, but I won't touch their faucets, valves or fixtures with with ten foot pole.
I also agreee with your referring to them as our competition, they need to get their greedy meathooks away from offering "professional" installation at dirt rates, driving everyones prices down and doing crap work for homeowners who don't know the difference.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I can only do what the HO wants. If it is a total redo, then I insist onpurchasing materials, but if I get a call to say change out an old faucet with the HO's, why not? Money is money. I dont personally do any shopping at Home Dispare, hate them with a passion, but sometimes late at night what else can one do?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I couple weeks back I got a call to install two tub units. I pulled them both out and both were cracked. told the customer to take them back. he started to put them back in the boxes and I told him no, don't bother. Otherwise they will just try to sell them to someone else down the road.

I always try and tell people to stay away from the big box stores. Most of it is pure junk

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I try to tell the customers if they want to purchase their material to at least buy it from my suppliers so I know I can get parts for them. Installed a shower valve in a bathroom remodel 2 years ago that the HO bought from Lowes. Bout 6 months later here son broke the hot water stem off inside the valve. When I get there water was everywhere. I cut the water off and figured I would be able to find a replacement stem at Lowes since thats where she bought the faucet. Wrong.... They didnt even stock parts for it and I was standing there explaining to the salesman that that was the same exact faucet on the wall in their display.... Let him know right quick I would never be back to hunt parts.... Not like it matters to them but it made me feel good.:furious:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Its irritating but the HO wants to cut the cost and I understand but they are selling theirselves short. If they buy good products they wouldnt have to call us back in 6 months or a year. I install things to last not break as soon as I drive off.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its irritating but the HO wants to cut the cost and I understand but they are selling theirselves short. If they buy good products they wouldnt have to call us back in 6 months or a year. I install things to last not break as soon as I drive off.
Thats what I tell them, and I do not guarentee any product they purchase either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts