Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
Some of my best customers are elderly! Some of them even call me for advice about non plumbing issues. I don’t mind. They are very loyal, refer me every chance they get and trust my decisions on what needs to be done and never question my price. Most of them have actually told me they think of me as family. Some have even insisted to meet my wife and son.

Trust is the biggest factor in business. Don’t get me wrong though, I do have some that want work done for free, I just tell them a higher price but tell them I’ll give them a discount and still charge normal rate. Those the refer me out and are very loyal, I do give discounts to, but most insist on paying the full amount.
This morning I had a kitchen drain for an elderly customer that we’ve been doing work for for years now. When she called yesterday she said her garbage disposal was plugged up and making a funny noise. I get there and it was just the drain plugged, disposal was fine. Actually looked pretty new. Told her that I don’t want to sell her something she didn’t need. Once I was done and all cleaned up she asked for a favor. The light bulb in one of her bathrooms burned out. Her, being short and just had knee surgery, is not supposed to use a ladder. No problem, no charge. I think she’s referred me to probably a half dozen or so people. One of her neighbors has become a cash cow so to speak. Lots of little jobs, but never blink an eye.
Another good type of customer are hoarders. If you don’t show that you’re disgusted by their home, they become comfortable with you in their home and you’re the only person they will call and generally won’t complain about prices.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I finally got to talk to my "new client rep" (they quit all the time) today and told them I wanted to cancel
my advertiseing ... and it turned out I was locked in for another 9 months and did not know
it .. To get out of the whole thing I would have to cough up about 700 bucks . I am debating
about what to do at this point-- considering all I get are dog crap calls these days from it..

Then I find out after talking with her for a few minutes that what I thought was going on was really
a fact... she basically admitted it.
They have changed their total format and now instead of getting direct phone calls from decent Angies list
people who pay for their service , who want to talk to me, they have thrown me into a hopper where a bunch of tight ass people who dont pay a dime just want a bunch of estimates from anybody ...... so now basically they have morphed into something like home advisor........

She admitted as much to me then tried to switch the whole subject and said that to make me happy they would put
me under softeners too for free...:sleep::sleep::poop::poop:.. and now I am supposed to be happy about this even through they basically did a bait and switch on me with the renewal of the contract probably 4 months ago....

Now the cat is out of the
bag and I am to blame for not reading the 20 pages of fine print legal jargon attached to my contract..
Perhaps over the next year I will break even on this, and maybe actually come out ahead....
although I doubt it..

·
Registered
790 Posts
I finally got to talk to my "new client rep" (they quit all the time) today and told them I wanted to cancel
my advertiseing ... and it turned out I was locked in for another 9 months and did not know
it .. To get out of the whole thing I would have to cough up about 700 bucks . I am debating
about what to do at this point-- considering all I get are dog crap calls these days from it..

Then I find out after talking with her for a few minutes that what I thought was going on was really
They have changed their total format and now instead of getting direct phone calls from decent Angies list
people who pay for their service , who want to talk to me, they have thrown me into a hopper where a bunch of tight ass people who dont pay a dime just want a bunch of estimates from anybody ...... so now basically they have morphed into something like home advisor........

She admitted as much to me then tried to switch the whole subject and said that to make me happy they would put
me under softeners too for free...:sleep::sleep::poop::poop:.. and now I am supposed to be happy about this even through they basically did a bait and switch on me with the renewal of the contract probably 4 months ago....

bag and I am to blame for not reading the 20 pages of fine print legal jargon attached to my contract..
Perhaps over the next year I will break even on this, and maybe actually come out ahead....
although I doubt it..
I’d pay the $700 and write it off as a business loss.

·
Registered
124 Posts

although I doubt it..

Wow, that's some BS

·
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am thinking the same thing...... just pay the money and get the hell away from them

Angies list now to me feels like--
you caught your wife cheating on you with your best friend and for some reason
you want to keep them both around.....and try to somehow salvage the relationships....
so then basically you are the biggest fool involved....cause you know they are screwing you and
each other behind your back....and that is with you knowing its going on and you are paying money
to support them to boot.........
now that aint good and it stinks real bad.......:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

best to just cut the loss and move on cause I know its just a waste of time and effort

The only pleasure and revenge I get out of this is starting this thread on this web site
to piss and moan about them... for the whole world to see...:devilish::devilish::devilish:...

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
I am thinking the same thing...... just pay the money and get the hell away from them

Angies list now to me feels like--
you caught your wife cheating on you with your best friend and for some reason
you want to keep them both around.....and try to somehow salvage the relationships....
so then basically you are the biggest fool involved....cause you know they are screwing you and
each other behind your back....and that is with you knowing its going on and you are paying money
to support them to boot.........
now that aint good and it stinks real bad.......:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

best to just cut the loss and move on cause I know its just a waste of time and effort

The only pleasure and revenge I get out of this is starting this thread on this web site
to piss and moan about them... for the whole world to see...:devilish::devilish::devilish:...

Poetic! You have a real gift Sir! Hats off!

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
There's no way to stop payments? When a marketer calls me now to post ads I just say to them no it doesn't work. I told the yellow pages several times they are obsolete and I'm fine with the free listing and I don't even mind they erase because I don't even show up anyway even if I type in my name.

Second if someone wants money to post an ad for my company they must produce results just like me when I show up to a customer. So I tell them just like my customers who pay when the job is done, you will only get paid when I see the ads working and I get jobs by them.

·
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
well, I just got a e-mail telling me someone on angies list wants an estimate
for a water heater..... I just called them and it already went to voice mail so my guess
is they have already got bombarded with 5 other guys tonight... I left my number
and told them to call back if they still need help...

I dont have any desire to chase these dead end calls

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
well, I just got a e-mail telling me someone on angies list wants an estimate
for a water heater..... I just called them and it already went to voice mail so my guess
is they have already got bombarded with 5 other guys tonight... I left my number
and told them to call back if they still need help...

I dont have any desire to chase these dead end calls

Sounds awfully similar to Home Deepoot, all I got were cheapskates who thought it was cheap or free. Mostly free.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts

For less than 700$ you can probably get a lawyer to write a nice letter explaining why you won't pay the severance fee and why if they don't offer you a cost free out of the contract you may sue for poor or non-existent service. I am sure that if you give that contract to a lawyer they can find some bs reason to get you out of it.

I'd rather pay a lawyer a couple hundred dollars than pay them 700$ for being scumbags.

·
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
For less than 700$ you can probably get a lawyer to write a nice letter explaining why you won't pay the severance fee and why if they don't offer you a cost free out of the contract you may sue for poor or non-existent service. I am sure that if you give that contract to a lawyer they can find some bs reason to get you out of it.

I'd rather pay a lawyer a couple hundred dollars than pay them 700$ for being scumbags.
Well, then I got to hop into bed with one of those skum bags too
and their is no guarantee of anything except handing him money.....

this is sort of like giving the guy who is doing my wife on the side,
money for dinner and a night out with her.....

I should have read the last thread about this better back in august of 2019
and realized I was probably being screwed....

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Well, then I got to hop into bed with one of those skum bags too
and their is no guarantee of anything except handing him money.....
Not all lawyers are scumbags just like not all plumbers eat with schitty hands or have a butt crack hanging out.

Sounds like an excuse to be lazy about it.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Not all lawyers are scumbags just like not all plumbers eat with schitty hands or have a butt crack hanging out.

Sounds like an excuse to be lazy about it.
Most lawyers are not going to find the time in their schedules to want to deal with
this penny anti stuff.......I guess I could find a Better call Saul kind of guy who will
be glad to charge me a few hundred just for spite I guess.......naaaaaaa

·
Registered
790 Posts
There's no way to stop payments? When a marketer calls me now to post ads I just say to them no it doesn't work. I told the yellow pages several times they are obsolete and I'm fine with the free listing and I don't even mind they erase because I don't even show up anyway even if I type in my name.

Second if someone wants money to post an ad for my company they must produce results just like me when I show up to a customer. So I tell them just like my customers who pay when the job is done, you will only get paid when I see the ads working and I get jobs by them.
this is awesome!
I say the same.. show me results and I’ll pay.. just like my clients..
they usually say no that’s not how it works, theN I say, well that’s not how I work.
If im paying you, then you’re working for me you’ll get paid when you produce results...

·
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Well, actually Tango if I want to be an a-hole (which I can be good at)
its pretty easy to screw with them....

all I got to do is claim my credit card was lost or stolen and get a new one with a new number...
so next month when they try to claim their money the card wont go through..... then they will be
calling me wanting their money and I can simply ignore them

eventually I could talk to them and explain the situation and negotiate
something better
I have had to do this before a long time ago with some skumbag
company that would not discontinue chargeing me after our contract
was over....... I just killed the card,,,,;);)

Let them feel what it is like to get stiffed

·
Super Moderator
12,475 Posts
I dont know what is going on with Angies list because all the calls I have received from them over the
past few months have all been dog **** and perhaps longer than that
.... they all dead end leads with almost no one calling me back....

Now I have heard recently that they were bought out
by Home Advisor. and I get the feeling that Home advisor is pimping out the calls
from angies list to their plumbers.... so I am competing with 7 other plumbers on calls
from angies list and I am paying to be on their site......

Piss on Them.....
gonna bail out on them this week.... not worth the money I send them any longer...

anyone else notice this going on with them vs a few years ago???..
I didn't think that you were even paying Angie's list. C'mon Mark, you are smarter than that. They have always been selling the leads to like {4} different plumbers.

City Plumbing {a member on here down in S. Florida} was using them {or was it home advisor?} or some lead service outfit anyway when he 1st started our on his own in business, and he said that he would call the customer back IMMEDIATELY when he recieved the lead and they were like, "oh thanks for calling but someone came out last night and made the repair."

I paid localplumbers.com years ago $100 a month for {5} months and never got one single job.

But, years ago I listed my company on AO Smith's website as an authorized contractor {free by the way} and I just installed a 50 gallon natural gas power vent for a gentleman. So the free AO Smith website actually got me work whereas the one that I paid for did not.

·
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I didn't think that you were even paying Angie's list. C'mon Mark, you are smarter than that. They have always been selling the leads to like {4} different plumbers.

City Plumbing {a member on here down in S. Florida} was using them {or was it home advisor?} or some lead service outfit anyway when he 1st started our on his own in business, and he said that he would call the customer back IMMEDIATELY when he recieved the lead and they were like, "oh thanks for calling but someone came out last night and made the repair."

I paid localplumbers.com years ago $100 a month for {5} months and never got one single job.

But, years ago I listed my company on AO Smith's website as an authorized contractor {free by the way} and I just installed a 50 gallon natural gas power vent for a gentleman. So the free AO Smith website actually got me work whereas the one that I paid for did not.
well, Tommy boy, if this is the worst mistake I ever make I am doing fine.....
much worse decisions have been made than this.... so I consider it par for the course....

I am on the Rheem web site for contractors and also on Bradfords... I have never cared for
Smiths but if it is free I probably ought to check it out...

also, where have you been lately ... I have not seen you post much for a long time
unless I missed them.....?...

·
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well, this weekend I get 2 calls from Angies list and both of them just want
free advice as to how to do this job themselves...they both need new water heaters
but I can tell they expect me to install their junk for time and materials.......

It certainly appears or seems that the
Angies list people have somehow morphed from being high end customers
with lots of money to spend on someone doing the work for them, into
cheap ass tightwads who would not spend a dime to see the second coming
but they still want free advice from Angies list contractors or they will throw a bad review
your way for being rude and in-sensitive......😩😢😢😨😰

I was polite to both of them but I can smell dog crap from a mile away and
I know I wont hear back from either of them to actually do the jobs...

Of course the extra energy it would take for them to get back on Angies list and actually give me a good review for
answering all their questions to the best of my ability and probably saving them money
is too much to expect from them.. that would take too much of their time .......lol....👿👿

21 - 40 of 42 Posts