Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know what is going on with Angies list because all the calls I have received from them over the
past few months have all been dog **** and perhaps longer than that
.... they all dead end leads with almost no one calling me back....

Now I have heard recently that they were bought out
by Home Advisor. and I get the feeling that Home advisor is pimping out the calls
from angies list to their plumbers.... so I am competing with 7 other plumbers on calls
from angies list and I am paying to be on their site......

Piss on Them.....
gonna bail out on them this week.... not worth the money I send them any longer...

anyone else notice this going on with them vs a few years ago???..

·
Il Lic. Plumber
41 Posts
Home Advisors keep calling, change their number each time so you don't know who they are . I tell them I don't want the customers that they are going to get for me. I don't want to work for " everyone ". Word of mouth keeps me busier than I want to be.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
I dont know what is going on with Angies list because all the calls I have received from them over the
past few months have all been dog **** and perhaps longer than that
.... they all dead end leads with almost no one calling me back....

Now I have heard recently that they were bought out
by Home Advisor. and I get the feeling that Home advisor is pimping out the calls
from angies list to their plumbers.... so I am competing with 7 other plumbers on calls
from angies list and I am paying to be on their site......

Piss on Them.....
gonna bail out on them this week.... not worth the money I send them any longer...

anyone else notice this going on with them vs a few years ago???..
Do you still use those azzholes?!! My old boss used them to my burden! Customers were either handy hacks wanting the to fix or install the crap they bought from ikea.

Any of those “service referral“ type companies I will not deal with! Even local ones!

·
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you still use those azzholes?!! My old boss used them to my burden! Customers were either handy hacks wanting the to fix or install the crap they bought from ikea.

Any of those “service referral“ type companies I will not deal with! Even local ones!

They used to be fairly decent folks 10 years ago and longer back but now they are simply scabs and I am cutting back on
this crap that gets me nothing in return........ I get a water heater call this morning from them and have called and left a message
but I am pretty sure I will never hear back from the person..... he has probably already gotten 20 others ringing his phone off the wall

I have called to kill them and now it has taken a few days to hear back from anyone....
then I get a call from someone but the return phone number does not work....

I get the feeling they are gonna try to bilk me out of the next month by avoiding me as long as possible

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I get the feeling they are gonna try to bilk me out of the next month by avoiding me as long as possible
With paypal you can get a "paypal key". It's essentially a card without the actual physical card. Whenever you would enter in your card information for payment you can enter in your paypal key instead. You can ditch the old key and get a new one whenever you want. This means things that auto renew can't renew if you cancel the key and get a new one.

For instance "free trials" that want your card info so when you forget to cancel they charge you.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
New avatar. Hopefully I can keep it for four more years
Schit has had the same picture of obama for 12 years he's so mad about it. I hope you can avoid being as butthurt.

·
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New avatar or am I just that dense? Awesome!
I’m word of mouth and reputation. I’ve never gone after former customers, they find me.
Year of putting stickers in homes is my best advertiseing and of course word of mouth....
I just got a job to do next week where they saw a sticker I threw on a garbage disposal
sometime back around 2003.. It stuck on there all these years and now has paid for itself 1000 fold..
. .
Also good Google reviews seems to be the absolute best way that people find me these
days.... I get a lot of people telling me that they see my old video from 15 years ago
and the read my --smart ass replies-- to the weird negative reviews I have received
and they find them entertaining so they know I am real and legit.....

even though Google is censoring all dissent over this election I still have to
depend on them

·
Registered
791 Posts
Most of my work is WOM, but I also have been doing the sticker thing for years, I leave each client with a memo pad. I have a small add in a local paper that targets grab bars for seniors, I do the grab bars at a lower price then any company out there and sell the grab bars at almost cost. This gets my foot in the door for plumbing and has exploded with the WOM for grab bars and plumbing.
Clients spreading WOM on Local face book groups have also been keeping me super busy. Since Covid I’ve been turning work down.

an old time taught me years ago to be friendly, honest, and up front then back up your word/work, and and your business/work will sell itself. That couldn’t be more true.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
.............. I do the grab bars at a lower price then any company out there and sell the grab bars at almost cost. This gets my foot in the door for plumbing and has exploded with the WOM for grab bars and plumbing.
That has got to be the best damn idea on here yet. Tango should be using that one. Seniors are exactly the customers you want. Especially the ones who have the common sense to pay someone to install grab bars.

·
Super Moderator
7,495 Posts
That has got to be the best damn idea on here yet. Tango should be using that one. Seniors are exactly the customers you want. Especially the ones who have the common sense to pay someone to install grab bars.
No! I don't want seniors! Most seniors I worked for were complaining about the price because they have the mentality of something costing 10 cents back in 1938. The next guy after me who might be a hack, the next plumber or their family member will threaten me for a refund because they think I robbed them and most likely file a complaint to the kangaroo court.

Not too many seniors call me anyway, there's no more phone book and they might not have the internet. Also the trend is they go into those brand new condos dedicated to old people where amenities exist all around them.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
No! I don't want seniors! Most seniors I worked for were complaining about the price because they have the mentality of something costing 10 cents back in 1938. The next guy after me who might be a hack, the next plumber or their family member will threaten me for a refund because they think I robbed them and most likely file a complaint to the kangaroo court.

Not too many seniors call me anyway, there's no more phone book and they might not have the internet. Also the trend is they go into those brand new condos dedicated to old people where amenities exist all around them.
Some of my best customers are elderly! Some of them even call me for advice about non plumbing issues. I don’t mind. They are very loyal, refer me every chance they get and trust my decisions on what needs to be done and never question my price. Most of them have actually told me they think of me as family. Some have even insisted to meet my wife and son.

Trust is the biggest factor in business. Don’t get me wrong though, I do have some that want work done for free, I just tell them a higher price but tell them I’ll give them a discount and still charge normal rate. Those the refer me out and are very loyal, I do give discounts to, but most insist on paying the full amount.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Some of my best customers are elderly! Some of them even call me for advice about non plumbing issues. I don’t mind. They are very loyal, refer me every chance they get and trust my decisions on what needs to be done and never question my price. Most of them have actually told me they think of me as family. Some have even insisted to meet my wife and son.

Trust is the biggest factor in business. Don’t get me wrong though, I do have some that want work done for free, I just tell them a higher price but tell them I’ll give them a discount and still charge normal rate. Those the refer me out and are very loyal, I do give discounts to, but most insist on paying the full amount.
100% agreed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts