Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an Americast bathtub about 3 months ago. Installed lots of them with no problems. When I install the tub, I always stand in it to make sure we get it solid on the back stringer board.

Well this customer called back, & said the tub is very noisy when standing in it, & sqeaks or grinds with every little shift of weight. Their old tub was a cheap steel one, & they said they never had an issue with that tub. I went over there, & stepped in the tub myself, & it definitely makes alot more noise or creaking than usual. As I said, never did this on the rough, when I stood in it. Almost sounds like it is coming from the tile ledge, but you can't see tub moving at all, & caulk joint still looks perfect. Walls were all cement based, behind tile.

Any ideas or experiences with this problem? I was thinking maybe tile or cement was too close, or up against tile flange on tub, but this tile man said he did this one the same as all the rest. What makes it worse too, is both these people are overweight, so it probobly squeaks even more than it did when I stepped in there, & I thought it was pretty bad.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Maybe your stringer board was nailed and it's squeaking? I always use roofing nails and nail the flange to the studs. The tub will never move if you do that.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe your stringer board was nailed and it's squeaking? I always use roofing nails and nail the flange to the studs. The tub will never move if you do that.
Stringer board screwed to 2x4's with 3" deckmate screws. Tub flange secured with 2'' deck mate screws. It was tight, during rough. Doesn't sound like a wood sqeak, more like a grinding type sqeek, is best way I can describe it.
Thanks for response.

·
Registered
379 Posts
did you set the tub in mortar?what is the floor a slab or plywood?if plywood i could see it creeking and squeaking some without being set in mortar.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
did you set the tub in mortar?what is the floor a slab or plywood?if plywood i could see it creeking and squeaking some without being set in mortar.
I believe bedding an Americast Tub is a No-No....:whistling2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
We install mainly americast tubs out here and I have only had two tubs that have had a problem when you stepped in them, on both we had the local rep come out and look because we knew they had been installed correctly. In both cases they paid to have the tub removed and replaced.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Redwood is correct, no mortar as per manufacturers instructions. This was set on new 3/4 plywood, with 1 layer of tar paper underneath. As I said, this sounds like it is coming from the tub. Bottom of tub does not come in contact with floor, which Manufact. also states, that tub is supported from back ledger board, not the floor.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Stringer board may have been set a tad too high. Since the homeowners are over weight it is putting stress on the tub as well as the stringer board?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had one that would not stop making noise. builder called americast They said it was O.k. to use cement even though directions said otherwise. We also drilled holes through the skirt and put screws in them at each stud. problem remained so they swapped out the tub for another one and new tub was ok. Put another americast in at another job with same type of squeaking. Carpenter put shims between each stud and skirt, the squeaking was not as bad. He said he was going to work on it the next day to eliminate remaining noise. I have not heard back from him. In the past I have never had problems with americast.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Stringer board screwed to 2x4's with 3" deckmate screws. Tub flange secured with 2'' deck mate screws. It was tight, during rough. Doesn't sound like a wood sqeak, more like a grinding type sqeek, is best way I can describe it.
Thanks for response.
Is there a basement under it? What is on the floor in the bath room that butts to the tub? I know they say no cement but it is wrong. I stopped using them a while ago because of so many problems with bottoms settling and failing. I have also dealt with the squeak. We crawled under the house and drilled 3/8 holes and injected an expensive two part closed cell foam. it is used in the tub repair industry. It snugged everything up and cured the squeak.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is there a basement under it? What is on the floor in the bath room that butts to the tub? I know they say no cement but it is wrong. I stopped using them a while ago because of so many problems with bottoms settling and failing. I have also dealt with the squeak. We crawled under the house and drilled 3/8 holes and injected an expensive two part closed cell foam. it is used in the tub repair industry. It snugged everything up and cured the squeak.
what type of tub do you use now

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I believe bedding an Americast Tub is a No-No....:whistling2:
ok,americast, well why is the reason?
I'm not 100% sure but I believe it is due to the fact that the Americast tub is a laminated type of construction. There is some flex in this design, but when it is bedded it creates a sharp point between the rigid bedded portion and the flexing unbedded portion which creates a shearing action causing delamination and other damage to the tub.

Just my guess... You could ask the question on Am Std's website and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I believe it is due to the fact that the Americast tub is a laminated type of construction. There is some flex in this design, but when it is bedded it creates a sharp point between the rigid bedded portion and the flexing unbedded portion which creates a shearing action causing delamination and other damage to the tub.

Just my guess... You could ask the question on Am Std's website and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth...
About 5 years ago we had a case of an entire hotel of them failing and the bottoms spider cracking. As a result the crackling that occurred started rust lines. The bottoms sagged on every one of them and it caused a standing water problem. The hotel was not the only place I have seen it happen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts