Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a commercial restaurant account that has a water leak under the slab. Cold water, I have narrowed down the search somewhat to an area in the back kitchen. Bout a 4x4 square. The only reason I think I am close is because you can see water seeping through the cracks in the tile. I also know that water will travel and show up in a place and be farther away. I'm even getting water in the back drive through about 10ft from the building.

We don't have any kind of leak detection equipment, so I contacted American Leak Detection. Just wondering if anyone has used them in the past and what their success rate was. They told me that they generally find the leak in 1hr with a 2hr min. charge for drive time. They are about 1 1/2 out of town from me. Seems like a good deal but I want to do my customer right and bring someone in that can find it quick to avoid busting the world up.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I have a commercial restaurant account that has a water leak under the slab. Cold water, I have narrowed down the search somewhat to an area in the back kitchen. Bout a 4x4 square. The only reason I think I am close is because you can see water seeping through the cracks in the tile. I also know that water will travel and show up in a place and be farther away. I'm even getting water in the back drive through about 10ft from the building.

We don't have any kind of leak detection equipment, so I contacted American Leak Detection. Just wondering if anyone has used them in the past and what their success rate was. They told me that they generally find the leak in 1hr with a 2hr min. charge for drive time. They are about 1 1/2 out of town from me. Seems like a good deal but I want to do my customer right and bring someone in that can find it quick to avoid busting the world up.
I have never hired them but I have watched them and they are only as good as the franchise and if they can't find it a "supervisor" may come out. You guys should consider investing in your own locator and then you know what your looking at.

Another trick you may consider if you do it without a locator is a long 1/4" masonry drill and drill on the grout line. The hole closet to the leak will have the most pressure.

Mark

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have it down to a 4x4 area you can do the grout line trick with a probe stethoscope(sears)
The only thing that is making me wonder is the water that is showing up out back, but it could be multiple leaks

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Ive used them in a couple of instances. This one near me is pretty good even tho I have a Gen-ear and can find a leak most of the time there are occaisions they work out. One locate instance he helped sell the repipe for me.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
can you find where the water main enters the building, surely if it is commercial they have to have a riser somewhere where the water enters the building, only reason I ask, and maybe the most obvious one. Find the line where it enters the building, isolate it, and determine if it is in the buiding, or on the main line into the building.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can you find where the water main enters the building, surely if it is commercial they have to have a riser somewhere where the water enters the building, only reason I ask, and maybe the most obvious one. Find the line where it enters the building, isolate it, and determine if it is in the buiding, or on the main line into the building.
Water meter is in front. Leak is showing up in very back, but it could be traveling. He has a set of original prints. I would have to open up a wall because everything is looped. No overhead piping I have already searched for it. The bad thing is I have to shut it down at night because he runs all day long till about 10pm. That might be an option though.

·
4,710 Posts
I use the Metrotech HL-4000 with both the GM10 and the GM50 microphone.

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Like the one post says, it depends upon the owner. The one we use in Tulsa is a very valuable and dependable one when we are pressed fore time and need to get to another job.

·
4,710 Posts
Do you have to pressure up lines? Or just sweep the area untill you detect water running.
First you have to do some locating to narrow down where the leak is. Then you use a NaviTrack or something similar to locate the pipe so you are only listening above the pipe. You have to have the water on so that you can listen for the noise it makes at the leak. They tell me mine will locate to 15' but I have not needed to locate deeper than 4'. Mine will record and memorize up to 9-locations so it will really pinpoint your leak.

Mark

·
4,710 Posts
I have to say I am really surprised how many of you are using outside services to do your locating.

Mark

1 - 20 of 43 Posts