Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AHS...good or bad? In the past as a employee, I've done work for them and had some success---not like a normal call, but it was better than nothing.

Yesterday, I contacted them about doing work and they have a new system. The contractor has to buy a special ATT phone and pay for a monthly service that is paid with a credit card at 250.00 a month.

This monthly service is a tracking system to monitor arrival/departure times, travel times, materials used, etc. I'm flat rate, but she said it was for internal control...:blink:

She also said that AHS customer base has evolved from real estate sales to a handyman service being that home sales are down.

Is anyone on the program and how is it?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I do about one job a week for AHS, and I think that is too many. As a general rule, they are a pain in the ass to deal with. If what you are saying is true, then they have become an even bigger pain. I would never sign up for a deal like that. Also keep in mind that they take between one and two months to pay your invoice.

Find a better way to get calls.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ams

Tryed Them When I First Sarted Along Time Ago. Did'nt Realy Pan Out Then And I Would Never Incurr The Added Expense Of A Special Phone. I Also Had A Problem Collecting Money From Them Slow Pay.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Never worked for AHS but did work for Old Republic and Home Warranty of America. Didn't last long. Old Republic paid relatively quickly (2 weeks I think it was) but whined incessantly about prices. At one point I was taken off of there water heater install list because I had the nerve to charge (this was around 2005 I think) $900 for a 40 gallon water heater install rather than the $400 they said it should cost. Oh yeah did I mention that I was supposed to provide the wh and haul the old one off for that price. So shortly after that happened I called them and said "you know what, just take me off of your list alltogether". Home Warranty of America on the other hand are just flat out crooks. They still owe me money. The last job I ever did for them, they kept me on the phone (my cell phone for which I was paying by the minute at that time) for over 1 hour trying to get approval for some pissy $300 job. They finally gave me the approval along with the approval number and never paid the invoice. After I called a few times about it the guy who handled my account just stopped returning my calls.

We will occasionally still get calls from some home warranty company or another wanting to know if we can service a call in our service area (because they've run out of suckers to service their customers). We tell them we would be more than happy to but we will need the ho's contact information and authorization and that payment will be due in full by the ho at the completion of the service. This is non-negotiable.

Save yourself a lot of aggravation and just steer clear of all home warranty companies. By the way you are incorrect about the something is better than nothing philosophy when you wind up losing money to do their work. You'de do better spending that time marketing your company in other ways.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Never worked for AHS but did work for Old Republic and Home Warranty of America. Didn't last long. Old Republic paid relatively quickly (2 weeks I think it was) but whined incessantly about prices. At one point I was taken off of there water heater install list because I had the nerve to charge (this was around 2005 I think) $900 for a 40 gallon water heater install rather than the $400 they said it should cost. Oh yeah did I mention that I was supposed to provide the wh and haul the old one off for that price. So shortly after that happened I called them and said "you know what, just take me off of your list alltogether". Home Warranty of America on the other hand are just flat out crooks. They still owe me money. The last job I ever did for them, they kept me on the phone (my cell phone for which I was paying by the minute at that time) for over 1 hour trying to get approval for some pissy $300 job. They finally gave me the approval along with the approval number and never paid the invoice. After I called a few times about it the guy who handled my account just stopped returning my calls.

We will occasionally still get calls from some home warranty company or another wanting to know if we can service a call in our service area (because they've run out of suckers to service their customers). We tell them we would be more than happy to but we will need the ho's contact information and authorization and that payment will be due in full by the ho at the completion of the service. This is non-negotiable.

Save yourself a lot of aggravation and just steer clear of all home warranty companies. By the way you are incorrect about the something is better than nothing philosophy when you wind up losing money to do their work. You'de do better spending that time marketing your company in other ways.
I did work for them once for a WH. Got 899 for it. I told them to try and get someone else cuz I wasn't going to play their game. She put me on hold, and then told me to proceed. Come to find out the ones that were on their list, dropped out. I did get paid for all of it. The ladies house I worked at is taking them to court. if you want her contact #, I know she will be more than happy to talk to you. Her everyday job is a insurance litigation :eek: HWA will have their hands full with her and inside contact Lawyers:thumbsup:

If I do any work for those companies, I get payment in full at time of svc and the ho can work it out with them.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
25 Posts
AON was the best of the warranty companies,but they changed to more like AHS to wanting you to get next to nothing for job and then stiff you anyway.

·
Registered
265 Posts
We used to handle some of their calls. I can remember around 2003, we raised our hourly and trip charges, and they flipped the script on us!! A supervisor called us and said "If you can't play ball with us, then we'll find someone who can!!" So, I told them exactly where to put the ball that they were referring to!

Bottom line is......they are no better than a typical builder,do as much work as possible for a 0% or less net profit to your company. One of the worst home warranty companies out there:thumbsup:

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
We handle these calls exactly the same and with extreme caution.
Save yourself a lot of aggravation and just steer clear of all home warranty companies. (Or Be very very careful)By the way you are incorrect about the something is better than nothing philosophy when you wind up losing money to do their work. You'de do better spending that time marketing your company in other ways.
This is the truth no matter who your costomer is.. The day you "break even on a job is the first nail in the coughin. Your buisness is either growing or die'in.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
This is the truth no matter who your costomer is.. The day you "break even on a job is the first nail in the coughin. Your buisness is either growing or die'in.

Couldn't have said it better myself.:thumbsup:

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
I have to say that AHS is one of my biggest customers. I do about 35 calls a week for them. I have a set price list for most of the basic stuff, water heaters, disposals, ect. As far as the special phone that you have to have, never heard of that one. Another thing is, I get the full rate from them, that any other customer would get. And as far as payments go, they have online invoicing. Invoices are submitted by Tuesday, direct deposits are made that Friday. And yes, Im talking about AHS. Have Zero OOOOOO complaints about them. They must like us more here in FL.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, the very last company I worked for charged AHS full price, but you know what? I still hated to do those calls. I still have a bad taste from some of those AHS calls.

Hiring a plumber is a luxury and I enjoy the people who can afford and appreciate my skills. AHS' customers have that entitlement thing going on; they couldn't afford a plumber if they didn't have AHS, but they act like we are hired help.

No. I'm not going to do it.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Yea, the very last company I worked for charged AHS full price, but you know what? I still hated to do those calls. I still have a bad taste from some of those AHS calls.

Hiring a plumber is a luxury and I enjoy the people who can afford and appreciate my skills. AHS' customers have that entitlement thing going on; they couldn't afford a plumber if they didn't have AHS, but they act like we are hired help.

No. I'm not going to do it.
I have not had that issue with the customers. They are always friendly and happy to see that they are getting somthing out of their warranty company. Also, you reun across a lot of non-coverd items, then since your already there, they will pay you in full to go ahead and do the job. Plus, have gotton a lot of refferals from AHS customers to regular customers. If you live in a major city, I would go for it.:thumbsup:

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have not had that issue with the customers. They are always friendly and happy to see that they are getting somthing out of their warranty company. Also, you reun across a lot of non-coverd items, then since your already there, they will pay you in full to go ahead and do the job. Plus, have gotton a lot of refferals from AHS customers to regular customers. If you live in a major city, I would go for it.:thumbsup:
At 35 jobs a week, you are grossing between 17,500.00-35,000.00? 500.00-1000.00 a job?

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
At 35 jobs a week, you are grossing between 17,500.00-35,000.00? 500.00-1000.00 a job?
it depends, most of the calls are simple easy money ones. Stopped up kitchen sink, dripping fauctes, toilet running, toilet leaks. Slab leaks, the customer has a limit on certain things like slab leaks. AHS will usually cover only up to $500 of that cost, then the homeowner has to pay the rest. Dude, I seriuosly have no beef with AHS. They have helped my company tremendously. They are very easy to get along with to me. you would have a basic set list price for things, but if extra work is required, they 99% of the time cover that cost as well.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its a moot point, she still had me in the database and that little incident about me telling some homeowner to go f himself. :laughing:

I guarantee you that 35 calls a week in my shop would gross a minimum of 1,000,000.00 per year. Sorry, but it seems like you're burning calls and acting more like a discount handyman. And that's why I told that AHS customer to piss off....I'm not a handyman.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
"I need you to come out and fix my plumbing. There's a leak and all I pay is $75 and the warranty company pays you."

"Wow, aren't you special. Why are you calling me up wasting my time?"

Silence...

On command, I hang up before I hear even a hint of a voice.

This is how I deal with home warranty companies. Just another outfit that drags you down.

Had an experience where a guy was refusing to pay for the upgrades to bring a water heater to code. I said listen fool, we're the only company working for AHS and if you think you'll get hot water today, good luck because I'm leaving unless you fork out $300 to get this installed correctly, forker. Guy was trying to strong arm me thinking he was above it all.

Hanging hot water over their head is pretty substantial, knowing that the alternative is twice, three times the spending to achieve.

Couple years ago a rep called trying to get me to commit from somewhere in Indiana. He'd call at least 20 times a day. Every evening I'd load his voice mailbox with music, sounds of cars running, dogs barking, anything.

He stopped calling.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
The only plumbers that work for AHS around here are really dirt-cheap. WHne my old company did work for them, they only wanted to pay peanuts, and whined about our high prices, so we dropped them.
What are you charging them rockstarplumber? $65/hour? Or even Less?:no:
Its more than that. What strikes me as odd is all of the complaints about them. As tough of time things are right now in the construction industry, any call volume is a good thing. there are only 2 other companys here that do work for them as well. am i cheaper than them, absolutely. Am i trying to put them out of business, Absolutely. Further more, I make a very nice profit from AHS. If I didnt, i wouldnt do the work. Do I have the Overhead that some other companies have? Not harldy. My price per hour is very competitve for the average rate in my area. I call regularly to my competitors to make sure that i am competitive. Now there are some out there charging less than they should. That annoys me to no end, as it would any of you. Try to keep things to par with everyone else. I know pricing is right for me at this time. I get complaints very often on the price of things, but, all of us in here know what the customer is paying for. I don't let it bother me.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 257 Posts