Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's talk about PEX. Any questions or problems.
I've had my hand on almost all types and brands out there and want to see what others think of it.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
EXACTLY, pex is for people that cant plumb PERIOD!!!!!!
I can see uses for it, if it can freeze without bursting as the claims state, I had to repipe the families cabin a couple years ago because it it got cold earlier than usual and we didn't have time to get out there to drain the system down in time.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Um, ok.

The more you install pex , the more you sell your brother plumber down the river
I have a better quote. "Those that don't use or haven't bothered learning anything about pex are the ones usually bashing it." Whatever you say *******, I guess I'll be sending all my fellow brothers all the way down to the gulf of Mexico then because that is all I install these days and forever more. I sold two more complete repipes today for next week. I'm extremely busy these days and a lot of it has to do with customers calling me asking for PEX. I don't even have to sell it, it sells itself. Word of mouth is a wonderful thing, the more pex I install around here the more people are loving it and telling their neighbors. I feel sorry for those of you missing out. I can tell you this, they already know about it and they want NOTHING to do with copper. I have enough homes in my general area that have rotting galvanized pipes and copper that's springing leaks to keep me busy for the rest of my days!:laughing:
One of the jobs I scheduled for next week the customer actually knew a lot about pex, how it's resistant to bad water, won't split open in a freeze as easy as copper etc. etc., he already knew!!!!!! He was already sold before I even got there! Time to start getting educated or get left behind.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Please keep such ignorant comments to your self. I know hundreds of state certified master plumbers that use pex(including myself). Many of said plumbers are more experienced than you by far.

EXACTLY, pex is for people that cant plumb PERIOD!!!!!!

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Same here.

I have a better quote. "Those that don't use or haven't bothered learning anything about pex are the ones usually bashing it." Whatever you say *******, I guess I'll be sending all my fellow brothers all the way down to the gulf of Mexico then because that is all I install these days and forever more. I sold two more complete repipes today for next week. I'm extremely busy these days and a lot of it has to do with customers calling me asking for PEX. I don't even have to sell it, it sells itself. Word of mouth is a wonderful thing, the more pex I install around here the more people are loving it and telling their neighbors. I feel sorry for those of you missing out. I can tell you this, they already know about it and they want NOTHING to do with copper. I have enough homes in my general area that have rotting galvanized pipes and copper that's springing leaks to keep me busy for the rest of my days!:laughing:
One of the jobs I scheduled for next week the customer actually knew a lot about pex, how it's resistant to bad water, won't split open in a freeze as easy as copper etc. etc., he already knew!!!!!! He was already sold before I even got there! Time to start getting educated or get left behind.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Yea, I am wrong huh?

Small facts:

#1 copper is a resource

#2 plastic hurts the EARTH

Here argue with this:

Antimicrobial Copper in Healthcare
Learn more about antimicrobial copper and the important new role it will play in the fight against MRSA and other bacteria that cause hospital-acquired infections.
Bunch of other people see it my way http://www.copper.org/homepage.html

Come on Be serious,,,,,you really think adding MORE plastic is good for anyone?

#6 BTW, I have been plumbing with pex since 1997 call Conor Spear Plumbing In New Burn NC ASK FOR WADE....ask him home many miles of that crap we ran and how much we pulled out from homes.when it went bad.....go on call him tell Him Joe from NY, he will remember me I worked for him for over a year.

You guys must be new to plumbing if your seriously going to sit here and argue pex is better and then not have anything to back it up besides "wet head is an idiot"

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Let's not and say we did. Oh we already have, over and over and over again. Let's talk about tankless heaters. Now there's a pretty safe subject. :thumbsup:
Point of order, you left out the flat-rate debate.

Mark :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
#8 for my fans

GOOGLE DEFINE PLUMB

• adjust with a plumb line so as to make vertical
  • exactly; "fell plumb in the middle of the puddle"
  • exactly vertical; "the tower of Pisa is far out of plumb"
SO my friends are you "pexers" or PLUMBERS?

CAUSE I haven't seen much PLUMBed pex lines :)

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Oh here is some more from stupid non experienced, uneducated *******:

source:
http://www.copper.org/applications/plumbing/restools/cu_brchrs/why_chse_cu.html
In case of fire, is copper plumbing dangerous?

Copper tube used in any kind of water distribution system won't melt or burn or give off toxic fumes. While a home fire can reach temperatures of 1,500°F, copper offers an extra margin of safety with a melting point of nearly 2,000°F. For these reasons, copper tube is preferred for automatic fire sprinkler systems.

I hear building codes are getting stricter all the time. How does copper fit in?

Copper is the only plumbing material that meets or exceeds building code requirements in all 50 states.

Take the Test

Before you unknowingly accept what you haven't seen in a new home or make a hasty decision based on what appears to be a lower initial cost, do yourself a great favor. Take the 12- Point Plumbing Test below. And remember, you do have a choice!

1. Does your plumbing material have a long-term proven performance record?
  2. Is it impermeable; can it block contaminants from penetrating its walls?
  3. Can the joints withstand rapid pressure and temperature changes?
  4. Will it perform well in all weather; is it easily thawed, if necessary?
  5. Does it resist punctures and abrasions and not embrittle with age?
  6. Can it inhibit the breeding of harmful germs?
  7. Will it not burn or give off smoke or toxic fumes when exposed to fire?
  8. Will it withstand the weather and the sun's ultraviolet rays in outdoor applications?
  9. Is it virtually maintenance-free; does it have a low lifetime cost of ownership?
  10. Will it add to your home's resale value?
  11. Does it have nationwide approval of building inspectors and engineers?
  12. Does it have inherent quality and value, or is it false economy?

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
"wet head is an idiot"

You said it, not me. But since you did bring it up I have to agree with you.
JK *******, you're entitled to your opinion just like anyone else even if I do think you're WAY out in left field on this one! LOL

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Time to do battle.........

#1 WTF are you even trying to say here?

#2 How is that?

#3 I'll get back to this one in my next post as I have not followed your link yet.

#4 Same as #3

#5 Yes, you don't seem to have any problems with the plastic tubing that doctors would use to save your life with, or the plastic insulation on wires, or the Teflon you use to seal your threaded connections, or the mouse you have your hand on right now and the list goes on.....
Do you really want to get into a debate over the need for plastics? I'm all for being an independent thinker, but that's out there man.

#6 Good for you. What brand were you installing? What type of fittings? What applications? When and where did these failures occur? What was the cause?

#7 Actually, I'm a multi generation master plumber with over ten years experience. I could sweat copper years before I could drive. Nearly all the men in my family are plumbers. I have never done anything other than plumbing in my working life(save a few months as a life guard). I own a major share of the plumbing market in my area. In fact, 3 other companies in my area call me on a monthly basis for advice.

I have a mountain of experience and documentation to back what I say up. So lets get right down to it then.

Counter points:
PEX is the preferred material for residential and light commercial water distribution applications:

It has by far, a lower life cycle cost than copper.
It naturally resists water hammer.
It's uses less energy to manufacture and ship than copper.
It is not damaged by excessive water speed, chlorine, or aggressive water.
It's far more freeze resistant than copper.
There is no comparison between the two when talking about repiping.

Yea, I am wrong huh?

Small facts:

#1 copper is a resource

#2 plastic hurts the EARTH

Here argue with this:

Antimicrobial Copper in Healthcare
Bunch of other people see it my way http://www.copper.org/homepage.html

Come on Be serious,,,,,you really think adding MORE plastic is good for anyone?

#6 BTW, I have been plumbing with pex since 1997 call Conor Spear Plumbing In New Burn NC ASK FOR WADE....ask him home many miles of that crap we ran and how much we pulled out from homes.when it went bad.....go on call him tell Him Joe from NY, he will remember me I worked for him for over a year.

You guys must be new to plumbing if your seriously going to sit here and argue pex is better and then not have anything to back it up besides "wet head is an idiot"

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Pex is here to stay, it is the way of the future, it is the best stuff ever made.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts