Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
killertoiletspider just reminded me over on CT about an air gap for a condensate for HVAC lines. This got me to thinking about all these hose bibs. I see every day many, and I mean many hose bibs put into new homes and they are right down on the ground. Some you cant even get your hands under nor connect a hose. Wonder how the inspectors miss this?

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uh huh. Probably right. I hate to think about the fertilizer and other crap getting drawn back up into the hose. makes me shiver, just like a bored well.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
We put vacuum breakers on our hose bibs, but any idiot could remove them if they wanted to. Not sure why they would need to, but a lot of houses, we notice they are gone the week after final inspection. :no:

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
We put vacuum breakers on our hose bibs, but any idiot could remove them if they wanted to. Not sure why they would need to, but a lot of houses, we notice they are gone the week after final inspection. :no:
Don't most codes require a permanent VB? Those little add on VBs have a set screw to tighten up. It is made to break off once you get it tight enough. I always break them off. I can't afford the risk of getting sued because some idiot removed them and killed 3 people.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
22, thats why I use built in VB's and not the add ons. I carry a few in case we need to keep drawing water from a neighbor, especially doing commercial work. They look to me for water for the masons and things, thats why I keep a few screw on ones

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
We will install the woodford 24 series if not the frost proof ones.

Attachments

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
If we install a blr drn in a hose used for washing down stuff with a hose, it must have a VB or grind threads off.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Don't most codes require a permanent VB? Those little add on VBs have a set screw to tighten up. It is made to break off once you get it tight enough.
I don't actually honestly know what the code says about that. Maybe if Ron pops back in, he can tell me exactly what it is for us. :blink:

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
My code requires 12" above grade for a silcock WITH an anti-siphon device..
When the silcock has no VB, we most often use a Watts 8-b, with a break-off set screw so it remains permanent.

I can't remember the last time I saw a silcock installed below sill level on a home...must be a regional thing.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
What UPC code says. I've had to install aa addon backflow to a standard hose do to a failed inspection for a house to get sold.

Attachments

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Don't most codes require a permanent VB? Those little add on VBs have a set screw to tighten up. It is made to break off once you get it tight enough. I always break them off. I can't afford the risk of getting sued because some idiot removed them and killed 3 people.
The IPC uses the word permanent while the UPC uses the word non-removable but they basically mean the same thing. The vacuum breakers with the break-off screw would comply with either code when properly installed. While most can still remove the vacuum breakers with the break-off screw the screw destroys the threads making it to where a hose will not seal.

Mark

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
The IPC uses the word permanent while the UPC uses the word non-removable but they basically mean the same thing. The vacuum breakers with the break-off screw would comply with either code when properly installed. While most can still remove the vacuum breakers with the break-off screw the screw destroys the threads making it to where a hose will not seal.

Mark
Welcome to the forum sir!

You should intro yourself...I almost did but I figure the honor should be yours.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
According to UPC

Attachments

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Welcome to the forum sir!

You should intro yourself...I almost did but I figure the honor should be yours.
You are absolutely right and I apologize. To those who do not know me I have been a Contractor/Consultant in multiple States for the last 27-years and a Plumber for the last 35-years. I work mostly on the west coast but please don't hold that against me.

Mark

1 - 20 of 25 Posts