Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

What kind of compressor do you carry on the van?

• None, I drive an open-bodied pickup and don't want it stolen.

• Tiny, less than 100$

• Medium, good enough for all the leaks in my drains! ~300$

• Large, Let's reroof this house!

• Trailer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What compressor do you carry on the van?

For a while I've just carried a tiny compressor, good enough for your average well tank from 0-35psi in ~10mins. It has a glow in the dark gauge which is nice. When I knew ahead of time I'd need something bigger I would grab one from the tool crib.

Lately I've been carrying a "full size" compressor on the van, a Speedaire 45PL19. I didn't pick it out but I do like it. Plenty of volume, not terribly loud, pretty compact. We had one of the other service guys leave so I've been getting sent on more well pump calls and drain offs. That Speedaire was in the tool crib and brand new ;)

Product Font Cylinder Gas Automotive tire

Light Product Camera accessory Wheel Tire

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
HF, Pep Boys, Napa whatever compressors plus parts for tires. Compact road bike pump and separate gauge for expansion tanks. I know Texas water heaters load up with crud. That's rare here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 5,000 watt inverters on all my vans with 2 seperate 100 amp hour solar batteries running them. I have the small silver air compressors they are compact, quiet and small enough they are always on vans for test or flat tire if needed along with plug kits until they can get to a real tire store.

Slow to fill up water and gas test but always on truck so no "I forgot to put compressor on truck".

Last year I bought 2 ridgid 18volt battery compressors that use two 18volt batteries and they seem to be working and holding up well so far and even more convenient. May go to these if the others go down.

·
Registered
120 Posts
We use little cheap pancake compressors; Porter Cable, I think? They are relatively inexpensive and don’t take up much space. They are oil-less, so you don’t have to worry about oil etc. I also carry a cheap 12v compressor just to make sure to have something if I need it (tire, small gas line, etc.).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts