Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,
After a flood, about 2' of water in the basement with HWT and Furnace do you even try to save them? Every OEM is saying if the gas valve got wet to replace it same with the furnace control board. But darn the growth in the insulation in both just doesn't sit right with me.

Would you repair or replace?

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Slam dunk replace. 2' is a whole lotta watta.

Fraid you might have mold issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Change them out,gonna be a good month for water heaters in washington state with all the flooding around here,the restoration guys are getting rich

·
Registered
112 Posts
Morning,
After a flood, about 2' of water in the basement with HWT and Furnace do you even try to save them? Every OEM is saying if the gas valve got wet to replace it same with the furnace control board. But darn the growth in the insulation in both just doesn't sit right with me.

Would you repair or replace?
We replace gas valves when we have a furnace or boiler flood in a crawls space. I will see if the control board works before swapping it out. As far as saving the units, sure, water is not going to hurt em. You got a good point about mold in the insulation... With the heat they generate, it may get to dry for mold to grow. Not sure though...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did change them out but almost totally because I didn't want to own them down the road after touching them. Found new rules from FEMA on ducting in a flood plain, All ridgid & sealed at every joint, No flex duct at all. Thanks for your replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts