Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not sure if this is where im supposed to be posting this but ill give it a try. I just came back home from a very frustrating call for two sump pumps that i could not figure out how to get power to them.The pumps go through a panel with high limits and contators and fuses and Im sure there is a reset or something stupid in there but long story short i installed a temporary pump for the night and my boss will be sending a technician to check the panel tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone here can help point me in the right direction for learning more about electrical. It seems like there is no avoiding electrical in our field and i would prefer if i understood it better. I have a basic understanding (or so i hope i do) but i wouldnt mind starting with something basic and moving up. We do a lot of service for heating in the winter and i am always needing to call one of our guys for help with the electrical. Thanks a lot and any help would be great!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree the issue will probably be a motor issue or impeller issue as this place has had problems in the past. But i was wondering more in general if anyone had any advice about learning more on electrical either books or other forums...
Just would be nice to know more to troubleshoot with out needing to call other guys at work so quickly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It could also reset if there is a problem with the float switches, say the "stop" float is hung up on the pump and then the pump keeps running.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
there is also a possibility the panel has a stuck or bad relay, so even resetting it wont give you power to the pump...buy yourself a good volt meter..but water and electric dont go together safely, so be careful what your standing in, while touching electrical stuff... I was finishing a kitchen one day, hooked up the dishwasher water line and had a small puddle of water on the floor , when the electricians helper went to hook the electric up and thought the power was off...poof to the other side of the kitchen he went....no injuries but he wont be combing his hair for a week...

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's best to leave the electric to electricians, but some basic knowledge is required in our trade. Talk to some people you know and trust in the field.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much for the help. I rarely touch any electrical but it just made me realize there is a lot more for me to learn. I spoke to my boss and I will be spending more time with the heating guys this winter for boiler work so that will be great. I found An Audel book which looked interesting for electrical work. This might be better for electricians but I thought I might give it a try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately I don't have any buddies who are Spary's. I can maybe ask the electricians we work with if that might be possible. But I do agree with Toli. I don't really want to work with electrical, But I want to be able t service our equipment properly. I'm going to try to talk to our Sparkys to see if I can tag along for some service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts