Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I vote for the urinal height rules.

Listen, a handicapped person ain't gonna use a urinal to begin with. Not even to empty their bags.

That one irritates me.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. Who the hell is gonna stand out in the open like that to unload the bag.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an uncle who has been wheelchair bound since he was a little boy. My grandparents cared for over 100 foster children in their lives, over 80 of them handicapped. In short, I have been around handicapped people all my life. To my dad and I, the urinal requirements are an annoying, expensive boondoggle because we know how worthless they are.

Emptying those bags is unsanitary business to begin with, let alone doing it out in the open in a urinal.

·
Registered
584 Posts
We were doing a big job a while ago and roughing in the urinals we all thought they looked pretty low. Every one on the job checked the sheet and re-checked the sheet and we were doing it right so the roughs stayed at that height. When we went to install the urinals they were low. Turns out the boss man gave us the spec sheet for handicap urinals.
I said the exact same thing, how the hell does someone in a wheel chair use a urinal. I never even knew those low urinals were for the handicapped, I thought they were for children.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Marlin, They are that height to accomodate the drain of a colostomy(sp) bag

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
While I agree most ADA requirements are a PITA, after spending 6-months in a wheelchair after a bad ladder accident I better understand them.

Mark

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I agree most ADA requirements are a PITA, after spending 6-months in a wheelchair after a bad ladder accident I better understand them.

Mark
I hope you aren't thinking I am dissing ADA requirements. I have no complaint with the idea.

My only complaint is the stupid ones, particularly the urinal one.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I hope you aren't thinking I am dissing ADA requirements. I have no complaint with the idea.

My only complaint is the stupid ones, particularly the urinal one.
No not at all just explaining how my perspective changed. It made everything in life so much tougher.

Mark

·
Registered
90 Posts
I can see rifles point but it makes no difference to me. The ADA requirement on a urninal dosent make it harder to rough in or install so it dosent bug me. If it makes any ones life easier I got no problem with it.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can see rifles point but it makes no difference to me. The ADA requirement on a urninal dosent make it harder to rough in or install so it dosent bug me. If it makes any ones life easier I got no problem with it.
You are correct that is makes it no harder to install.

The problem is that it is less sanitary and places extra cost on the owner.

If it actually made lives easier I would shrug and move on. But it doesn't. The very group it is supposedly meant to serve does not and will not use it.

So you are left with less sanitary conditions and extra cost for no reason at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts