Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would look in to an Onyx shower product. It's a stone like man made material that comes in many different colors and patterns. I have installed them before and they are pretty solid. Technically its glue on walls but they are thick and heavy and good quality. The Onyx Collection

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,601 Posts
So what is wrong with Kohlers Sterling acrylic shower bases and stalls....??

We put about a hundred of them in over the years with no complaints...
just put a bucket of sand mix concrete under the base and its hard as hell
you can install them in the nastiest rental properties and unless someone takes
a hatchet to them they are nearly impossible to destroy

·
Super Moderator
2,111 Posts
So cultured marble base & walls. Done deal.

These are “fancy” people. They won’t accept lick & stick walls. I think I’m going to face them with the fact that their height dimension will require a custom wall set. I can find a proper pan, just not walls.
, or tile?

Reactions: skoronesa

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
I would look in to an Onyx shower product. It's a stone like man made material that comes in many different colors and patterns. I have installed them before and they are pretty solid. Technically its glue on walls but they are thick and heavy and good quality. The Onyx Collection

Hey I just remembered some tile look a like panels, can be custom ordered.

There's also a new company near me, they are starting to make sheets of 4x8' 3/16" tiles or any size you want. No more grout other than corners.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hey I just remembered some tile look a like panels, can be custom ordered.

There's also a new company near me, they are starting to make sheets of 4x8' 3/16" tiles or any size you want. No more grout other than corners.
That's what Onyx is. A big sheet of maybe 1/4" thick material. 1 base and 3 walls + 2 corner trim pieces where the walls meet. I prefer tiles but this would be next on my list before getting normal shower wall panels. The base is pretty much a 2 man job to set because of its weight. There are a couple things to remember with this Onyx product that people normally don't think about but other than that a great product. If they don't come in the exact size that fits your application they can be cut to fit.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts

We put about a hundred of them in over the years with no complaints...
just put a bucket of sand mix concrete under the base and its hard as hell
you can install them in the nastiest rental properties and unless someone takes
a hatchet to them they are nearly impossible to destroy

View attachment 128872
Yes these are good,fairly easy to install and not that expensive

·
Registered
Plumber, Retired 40 years
117 Posts
Whats wrong? nothing, except they are square and in a remodel nothing is square usually
which makes installing them a huge pain in the buttock
The cultured marble can be cut to fit , dusty as hell. and use blue tape on the cut line

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,601 Posts
Whats wrong? nothing, except they are square and in a remodel nothing is square usually
The cultured marble can be cut to fit , dusty as hell. and use blue tape on the cut line

I know that nothing is ever square but we have had freaking good luck with them over the years

if it is not artsy fartsy enough for them , let them shell out the big money

·
Registered
6 Posts
The other problem with Sterling, is that they are over 3 months out right now. I ordered an age in place unit at the end of October- arrived in late January with the wrong back wall. New one will arrive no sooner than April. Aside from the manufacturing setbacks, they are the only units I will install

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Just chip 2" out of the floor!
It's a pitd but that's actually a pretty good idea. Just cut a bunch of lines 2-1/4" deep with a skilsaw using a diamond blade and then just whack the pieces out. I would coat the concrete with tar.

Going to want plenty of dust extraction.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
It's a pitd but that's actually a pretty good idea. Just cut a bunch of lines 2-1/4" deep with a skilsaw using a diamond blade and then just whack the pieces out. I would coat the concrete with tar.

Going to want plenty of dust extraction.
Use hydraulic cement instead of tar

·
Registered
5,882 Posts

·
Il Lic. Plumber
107 Posts
Customer I am working for now on a master bath reno . She wants Cleopatra's bathroom on Peg Bundy's budget.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Reactions: sparky and Tango
21 - 40 of 41 Posts