Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Master Plumber
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve got a customer who wants an acrylic shower base/walls. They only have 70” height to work with. I don’t know how they’re getting the permit to do this (headroom doesn’t meet code), but I’ve been charged with finding a product we can use. They won’t accept fiberglass or tile or anything else. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
We’ve got a customer who wants an acrylic shower base/walls. They only have 70” height to work with. I don’t know how they’re getting the permit to do this (headroom doesn’t meet code), but I’ve been charged with finding a product we can use. They won’t accept fiberglass or tile or anything else. Any suggestions?
Contact your supplier, that's part of their job. They can look through the catalog or contact the manufacturer and tell you which models will work.

Who needs a permit for that?

·
Registered
Master Plumber
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installation of a basement 3/4 bathroom. Requires a building permit, plumbing permit, electrical permit & probably an hvac permit depending on if they have a bathroom fan in there. Called suppliers, they can meet requirements except height. The models they’ve sent have a minimum height of 72”

·
Registered
Master Plumber
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are “fancy” people. They won’t accept lick & stick walls. I think I’m going to face them with the fact that their height dimension will require a custom wall set. I can find a proper pan, just not walls.

·
Registered
Plumber, Retired 40 years
117 Posts
contact Southern Pipe and supply
OR. goggle a cultured marble co in your area

You can get the shower surround and sink basin/countertop to match

·
Registered
117 Posts
The reason they are getting a permit with a low ceiling is the scope of the work is not the framing for the ceiling.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The minimum ceiling height allowed for spaces to be constructed in Minnesota is 6’10”. This is inclusive to all spaces. They make concessions at times, but it depends on the inspector.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put “fancy” in quotes because people like this have a nice looking house in a nice looking area & don’t have any real money for things like a bath fitter or marble. They have champagne taste & mad dog money.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
1,229 Posts
Tell them they could jack the house up 2”, or
they’re going to have to go with custom made shower walls, but prob best to just go with tiles.

if acrylic walls are fancy to them, I’d hate to see what cheap would be.

·
1,229 Posts
I put “fancy” in quotes because people like this have a nice looking house in a nice looking area & don’t have any real money for things like a bath fitter or marble. They have champagne taste & mad dog money.
house rich, cash poor.
I have an aunt like that, it’s all about how she looks to others, yet nobody is looking. Big fancy house, with moen fauctes and glacier bay toilets, from HD.
She will go to “real fancy” restaurant just to be seen there, but order an appetizer and a glass of tap water, and claim she’s not that hungry, or she’s on a diet.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’d rather work for “normal” people that saved up to do beautiful jobs any day. They want the cheapest things done the cheapest way but they want it all done in the most elegant looking finished product to hide the fact it’s all the cheapest things. Bothers me to death.

·
Registered
117 Posts
house rich, cash poor.
I have an aunt like that, it’s all about how she looks to others, yet nobody is looking. Big fancy house, with moen fauctes and glacier bay toilets, from HD.
She will go to “real fancy” restaurant just to be seen there, but order an appetizer and a glass of tap water, and claim she’s not that hungry, or she’s on a diet.
Damn. At least your sister has a little change
My junky sister will steal you blind then come back and get what she left when you are gone
then shove it up her arm,then a week later say she is sorry can i borrow 20

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
If I know in advance those kind of people that play the game I want $10 000 bathroom but only willing to pay $250 I pass. No I'm not exaggerating, I used to get that all the time, it's one reason I don't do renos anymore.

Those and the F-N vanities with drawers and have to re-rough everything and the water pipes are coming through the floor. All that for 80$.... F-off.

·
1,229 Posts
Or the people who build their dream house, but blow the budget, then in the end they’re cutting corners and want the finish plumbing done for next to nothing.
which is why I alway give separate prices for rough and finish plumbing.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They all have nailing flanges & locking bottoms. Can’t cut them up. They’ll have no integrity.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts