Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bookkeeper likes using simply accouting. i find it confusing and want to be able to keep track of jobs better.
on here it sounds like its quickbooks or nothing. should i be switching??

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
If I was in business and couldn't understand my book keepers books...
I'd do something about it!:eek:

That said... I work for a company and do not run my own business. But I see some logic in what I said and I hope you do as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Touche!

That's true of everything! As the owner of a company, you need to know EVERYTHING about your business. Sure, you hire others to do tasks for you because you're not Superman, but in the end you are the ultimate one responsible.

Ask yourself this: If you knew nothing about PEX system piping, would you want to put your name on its use in your projects? :no:

So, if you can't understand a book keeping system, then I would seriously look into another accountant. After all lets think about this. An accountant arguably knows more about accounting than a business owner (they should anyway otherwise they're useless). So if they have a problem learning or using some other software, how in the hell can they possibly expect you to learn the one they prefer?

I use QuickBooks myself and really do like it. But like anything else, to each their own. Microsoft makes a good product too and its integration with other MS products (namely Office) makes it really easy. But again, like QuickBooks, there is a learning curve. In the end though, its really up to you. Find a system you're comfortable with and an accountant thats knowledgeable with it. Remember, the accountant works for YOU, not the other way around!

·
Banned
913 Posts
my bookkeeper likes using simply accouting. i find it confusing and want to be able to keep track of jobs better.
Either learn Simply accounting inside & out because you just love this bookkeeper, or insist your bookkeeper change to something you like and can use. If they ever quit, you will need to know how to navigate your books.

Personally, I like Quickbooks - but then again, before Quickbooks I was manual. If you ever have to replace the bookkeeper, more will know Quickbooks than Simply Accounting.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i guess this was fairly vague. i wrote this when i was wayyy too tired.
what i meant was when i have a job and i put my quote into simply and then post my labour and material to the corresponding job, that is what seems confusing to me and time consuming. i did my own books using simply for a little over a year. and did my dad's books for his trucking company for 3 years before that.
im not a pro by far but i get what is going on.
i guess what my question actually is, Is quickbooks easier to allocate labour and material to each job???

thanks,

·
Banned
913 Posts
Sorry, I cannot help you with this one. Our jobs are all short term so posting of labor & material isn't necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts