Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When they built my home, they ran the A/C condensation drain to the bathroom in my daughters room - and it is a very, very long run. 30 feet at least and the line sags and gets clogged, throwing the water into the pan and overflow.

i have a vent pipe to a downstairs bathroom, that is much, much closer.

I know you can’t tap into a vent pipe as a drain, but would it fail inspection of I ran the condensate pipe into the vent?

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oof…. I am sure I could do a better job than that!

i am not on septic, I am on municipal waste water. As I said, I have two condensate lines, one goes out the side of the house and the other taps I to a bathroom sink drain. The line to the drain is simply too long - It sags and grows organics.

but I knew the asjwee to this before I ever asked it…. It is just frustratin.

But, too do this right, i should route to the closer vent and drop down in the wall, tapping into that sink.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. It should not connect to any portion of the drainage system.
That is interesting, because it already is…. In Texas that is how they are built, draining outside is only the overflow line in case the drain fails. i actually have two AC systems in my house and the condensate lines are both plumbed to a sink trap.

I am in the middle of replacing the rusted condensate pan because the drain line keeps getting blocked.

if you see these photos. The line going straight eventually connects to the sink trap of my daughters bathroom, The one that heads off to the left drains rhe condensate pan out the side of the building - leaving a big ass rust stain on the brick.

draining into the waste plumbing is absolutely appropriate and to code. my question was can I dump it I to the vent pipe instead of plumbing it into a sink P-Trap.

Attachments

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol, two daughters in college - they both have bathrooms suites, but now they live in apartments that I also pay for.

I have had an issue with the primary condensate line sagging/ clogging and the condensate pan staying constantly wet. Well, the pan finally sprang a leak. So today, I pulled the old pan and installed a new one.

But as part of this project, I want to fix the 30’ plus primary drain line. Thus I asked the question.

Instead of routing the line to a different drain, I think I will try to improve this 30’ plus run. 1/2 PVC just cannot run that far and keep a functional slope.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,680 Posts
Lol, two daughters in college - they both have bathrooms suites, but now they live in apartments that I also pay for.
yep I payed for my daughter’s college etc too, but you know how I payed for that(and my house, truck, cottage etc)? By doing plumbing jobs/work, not by telling people how they can do MY job for FREE.

..sounds like you have enough $$$ so hire a lic’d plumber to do the work if you dont know how to do, so it’s done correctly,
just like how you get paid to do your job.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, i assume a licensed plumber installed the condensate drain line in a run that could not sustain an appropriate slope over time. As a non licensed DIY guy, I am pretty sure I can be at least that competent.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since you’re not really responding to what I’m telling you…
Was the guy who did this work was lic’d?
City requires housing builders to used licensed trades, so it would have been at least overseen by a licensed plumber.

I certainly am not trying to cast any trade negatively. It’s my house and I am certainly competent enough to replace a condensate pan under my AC. I just pulled the condensate drain line and it is full of water - so it is either plugged, has a negative slope or both.

i will pull this 20 year old line out tomorrow and put in a new line that drains…

I started this conversation when I saw a vent at half the distance…. I knew the answer, it was just wishful thinking.

·
Super Moderator
11,997 Posts
Well, i assume a licensed plumber installed the condensate drain line in a run that could not sustain an appropriate slope over time. As a non licensed DIY guy, I am pretty sure I can be at least that competent.
So you are pleading guilty to violating forum rules or just freeloading in general? Read the rules and ask yourself if you belong here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts