Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction on were I can find the answer to the following problem.

I have a 2” ABS plumbing pipe that is installed outdoors and is exactly 20 feet long at 20 degrees Celsius. If the temperature drops to -20 degrees Celsius, what will be the new length of my ABS pipe?

Please let me know where I can find this information.

Thanks, Steven

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
steven723 this forum is for pro plumbers only, please take your question over to diychatroom.com.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
His profile says Residential

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Maybe if he done the math.
Lets see, ABS x 3/16 walls divided by 20'*-20 degrees Celsius=sum of the atmospheric pressure differential divided by the climatic change to temperature of the pipe x geothermal expansion at the rate of .023648" per 1 degree Celsius = the percentage of differential substance absorption rate.............

Oh heck, just ask Hawkins
He knows everything!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
You did a good job at explaining it very well, sounds right to me. :laughing:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I doubt anyone on here knows it.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Will give him a chance to tell us more about who he is, hay Steven you see this message give us an intro please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just logged on and noticed all your messages. I am not a professional plumber but I did say at a Holiday Inn once...

I am sorry if I did something wrong by posting my question here, but I thought if anyone would know the answer to this question it would be a professional plumber.

Here is some more detail of why I am asking the question:

A professional plumbing company installed an outdoor drain on our second floor patio 4 years ago. The patio is completely enclosed by walls so the only way the water can drain is by 2 drains that are located in the middle of the patio. The patio slopes both ways so the water runs towards the drains in the middle of the deck. The two drains are 20 feet apart. The one drain is directly over the drainage stack and the other branches out horizontally 20 feet. Every spring or late winter the one drain that branches out 20 feet always cracks on the lip that goes over top the deck. I believe that the reason for this is because the 20 feet of abs pipe contracts and twist the drain so it then cracks. The crack always forms on the other side of the drain were the pipe leads to the other drain.

Can anyone please let me know if this is a possibility or does abs pipe not contract at all in cold weather.

Once again I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

Thanks, Steven

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Steven please ask your questions over at diychatroom.com.

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.