Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I practicably cut my teeth on PVC, and furthermore I could swear when I took my masters test there was something in there about not using ABS. Now I could be wrong, because I had to take an 8 hour test. My master plumbing, my class "B" contractor test, and a building test.

I guess the big question is: Which do you use?
Me, PVC.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I use ABS because it's the plastic pipe that you encounter 99% of the time around here but I prefer PVC. If I'm doing a sewer replacement, I'll use PVC because it's actually straight.

We did almost everything in PVC when I lived in Colorado. It does seem to be a regional thing but I don't know where the line is.

Paul

·
CEO Speedwagon.
1,657 Posts
ABS is the Devils Dong. If we can't use cast, at least use PVC.:thumbsup:

·
I Like Tater Tots
1,186 Posts
Very little ABS was ever used around here. Dat's some crooked sh*t. PVC or Cast iron baby. :thumbup:

Reactions: LEAD INGOT

·
I Like Tater Tots
1,186 Posts
It was some kind of black crap it must have been like that to hide the trailer trash pipe joints

·
Super Moderator
12,486 Posts
I use cast iron or mostly PVC. I saw ABS in houses in New York, but none down here in FL. In fact I have never seen ABS here in FL, ever.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kinda funny, PVC still looks weird to me when I see pictures. PVC for storm drains only for me, cast or ABS for sewer

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm not sure what everyone is talking about. ABS is wonderful! Easy to cut. Easy to glue. Looks good. I love working with it in residential. PVC Sys. 15 is great for commercial as well.

·
CEO Speedwagon.
1,657 Posts
I'm not sure what everyone is talking about. ABS is wonderful! Easy to cut. Easy to glue. Looks good. I love working with it in residential. PVC Sys. 15 is great for commercial as well.
Expose it to UV rays for few days, or minutes, depending on the climate. unstable s-h-i-t..

·
Registered
89 Posts
The residential here is a bit more than 50% abs, based on where I worked and who I worked for. The good things about ABS is its more user friendly as far as joints, the glue works great and adheres very strong. More like liquid ABS. The bad thing is every pipe is bowed and takes some work to install straight. We did get alot of compliments from inspectors though for taking the time to install it right and straight.

PVC is tempermental and more demanding requiring more labor to install. In the end, if you kept the joints clean a way better looking system. Just didn't like the fact of having to use primer and glue, requires a bit more labor to install.
:eek:

·
I'm right your wrong
3,801 Posts
I bet you could draw an invisible line on this one, like maybe the Mason Dixion. PVC in the south and ABS up north.

Not sure about this one just a guess.

I am sure you will let me know.

·
I Like Tater Tots
1,186 Posts
I'll take the extra step of using primer on pvc over dealing with crooked azz ABS anyday. :yes:

Reactions: RealLivePlumber

·
Registered
121 Posts
ABS here never done a house in PVC. If you strap the pipe straight on your truck and take if off as you need it, no problems with crocked pipe.

Around here the ABS pipe and PVC pipe are about the same price. But the PVC fittings are almost double the price of ABS fittings .

1 - 20 of 41 Posts