Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've seen them fail. It seems to be a low rate but their aren't too many of them used where I am so I can't say for sure what their failure rate is. They are supposed to be installed with access so they can be located and changed in the event they fail. That is rarely the case however.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i see them fail pretty frequently. mostly the cheap black ones that are installed in mobile homes. even if they don't technically fail, they do begin to get loud and annoying and need replacement to keep the customer from going nutzo.

i don't run into the nicer ones much, made by oatey i think. i can't speak for their reliability.

paul

·
Registered
71 Posts
people install them on almost every island vent here, I unfortunately started too. We just use the Oatey but as any mechanical device, it will fail eventually. I've never heard of one failing yet but eventually I can imagine it will be a normal service call.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Most embarassing moment was when an inspector came and the AAV leaked. It was a Durgold too. Took it back, installed new one, no problems

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
The ratio of failure in my area is about 1 to 300 for the "studor" brand vents. The black mobile home ones fail far more frequently. There are hundreds of homes going in, in my area, in which every fixture is vented with them save one main VTR. While I am getting lots of calls about sewer gas due to positive pressure issues (a system design fault) I've not seen many valves fail themselves.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The ratio of failure in my area is about 1 to 300 for the "studor" brand vents. The black mobile home ones fail far more frequently. There are hundreds of homes going in, in my area, in which every fixture is vented with them save one main VTR. While I am getting lots of calls about sewer gas due to positive pressure issues (a system design fault) I've not seen many valves fail themselves.
Consider them job security, I have seen very Studor vents fail, But I have yet to see a vent stack fail. The little black mobile home vents are terrible, they are a sure thing for failure. But like others have posted a mechanical device is going to fail. Time to invest in gas sniffers

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've only installed 1 AAV, which was a Studor. It just became Code here a few years ago that we are allowed to install them in Canada. In this case it was a new house, bottom floor, and in a remote area, so I had no choice as they wanted to add a sink.

But I do my absolute damn-dest to try and look for ways to not install them.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I'm a big fan of smoke as a means of finding venting leaks.

Consider them job security, I have seen very Studor vents fail, But I have yet to see a vent stack fail. The little black mobile home vents are terrible, they are a sure thing for failure. But like others have posted a mechanical device is going to fail. Time to invest in gas sniffers

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts

Black mobile home ones are forbidden in VA

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just put one in my own home yesterday. I can't recall any problems with them before... Just leave access and changing them is a snap.

Surely they will fail someday... Its easier than going through the roof!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think AAV's are the easy way out. I mean if you gotta vent an Island Sink there are lots of ways to do it - Barber loop, or plan out your trap arm - anything but an AAV!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts