Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a kitchen sink in my cottage vented with an AAV. That specific line goes right to the cesspool, not connected to anything else except a laundry box which isn’t used. It’s been fine for years and suddenly it started smelling. I unscrewed it, capped it and it took me two weeks to get around to replacing it. During the two weeks it was fine. I just changed it and it smells again. Never seen that before, anyone else run across an AAV that refuses to seal?

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,669 Posts
Are you using the cheap unapproved black one for $10 from cheapo depot- or the Oatey white one that is approved for about $30+? I’ve come across the cheap ones failing in time, or new.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you using the cheap unapproved black one for $10 from cheapo depot- or the Oatey white one that is approved for about $30+? I’ve come across the cheap ones failing in time, or new.
The Oatey one. That’s why it took me two weeks to get one, the supply house was out of em.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
So I have a kitchen sink in my cottage vented with an AAV. That specific line goes right to the cesspool, not connected to anything else except a laundry box which isn’t used. It’s been fine for years and suddenly it started smelling. I unscrewed it, capped it and it took me two weeks to get around to replacing it. During the two weeks it was fine. I just changed it and it smells again. Never seen that before, anyone else run across an AAV that refuses to seal?

Surely you mean a cessPIT. A cesspool is an open pool of sewage.

Perhaps since you have no vent, the aav is allowing air in when the sewage cools. The air contracts creating a vacuum. Then it later warms up creating enough pressure to push sewer gas out of the traps. When you don't have the aav the water in the traps can move some like the water in a manometer without actually letting air in or out of the system.

Add a real vent.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Surely you mean a cessPIT. A cesspool is an open pool of sewage.

Perhaps since you have no vent, the aav is allowing air in when the sewage cools. The air contracts creating a vacuum. Then it later warms up creating enough pressure to push sewer gas out of the traps. When you don't have the aav the water in the traps can move some like the water in a manometer without actually letting air in or out of the system.

Add a real vent.
Nope. The smell is from the aav itself, not the trap. Real vent was not an option even during construction.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Nope. The smell is from the aav itself, not the trap. Real vent was not an option even during construction.
You can't stub a vent out the kitchen sink wall and up the side of the building?

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’d have to run it 6’ down the side of the house and up. The neighbors would have a heart attack looking at it, call the town and they’d tell me to get rid of it.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Reactions: MACPLUMB777
1 - 12 of 12 Posts