Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you come across galvanized drain pipes hot? I did the other day, that was freaky, old building, touched the drain line and zap, told them I'm not working on them till a electrician insures it's safe, turns out building was not grounded..​

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Ron, I once had to repair a water leak in a mobile home. It had galvanized pies and when I touched it ZZAAPP!! Man that hurt. I got po'ed and turned the main breaker off. Told the HO to call an electrician. Never did find out why or how.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the drains not the water lines, was only touching the drain nothing else.

·
Registered
378 Posts
So I guess the only way to be safe is to interupt the electric service during the repair [which often times you need power to do ],or take the time to temporarily install a jumper ground and clamps on both sides of the cut .You would never guess though that the dwv would be the grounded source ,or is touching something that is.
And we're not ready for a new moderator.....so be careful!:laughing:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I guess the only way to be safe is to interupt the electric service during the repair [which often times you need power to do ],or take the time to temporarily install a jumper ground and clamps on both sides of the cut .You would never guess though that the dwv would be the grounded source ,or is touching something that is.
And we're not ready for a new moderator.....so be careful!:laughing:
:laughing: So get there to do the job and the sparky put his 1-1/2" ground clamp where I was needing to cut out a section of pipe, had to call him up, he did not know where I was to cut the line, so not his fault, he said he grounded the house and fixed a jumper from the drain to the cold water feed coming up from 1st floor, which I had seen. Called him up and asked what to do, now electricity scares the hell out of me, I'm one that does not like how it feels, he said I could move it to a new place, I said ok, but if it lights me up, I'll be calling you up, (thinking to myself, if I live), I got it mored, and he did call later to see if I was alright. The funny thing about the 1st time it zapped me, I was standing on a plastic toilet seat, thought that that was suppose the break the ground. Job is done and I'm here alive today. :laughing:

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've often had to jumper a pipe that I was cutting. Ya gotta be careful!

The other day, I was drilling a couple of holes for water lines and when the drill bit brushed against a CI drain pipe, the breaker blew! I got out the tester and sure enough, the receptacle was wired backwards and no third-wire ground. I'm glad it was the drill bit that contacted the pipe and not me. Lights out.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I had a main sewer line job that popped the breaker with a large flash when the blade touched the cast iron stack. I told them they needed to get an electrician in there. only happened on one circuit though, when i plugged teh machine into a different circuit it didn't do it. I figured the had the ground and the hot mixed up or something.

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
I've came across a few mobile home frames (with either a broke neutral or no frame ground) that lit my ass up a couple times, lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How many of you come across galvanized drain pipes hot? I did the other day, that was freaky, old building, touched the drain line and zap, told them I'm not working on them till a electrician insures it's safe, turns out building was not grounded..​

I did a house that had 3in copper waste for a powder room toilet in a house. They second i stuck the cable in the toilet sweep, a big shock hit me and the machine and followed the pipe the whole way. Scared the crap out of me. I couldnt figure out what caused it, my cords were fine, and the outlet had a GFI. I did the same thing, told them to call an electrician.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts