Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Old (antique) Master
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been in my computer for some time.
I don't know where it came from. I think OSHA.
I don't think the young lad made it.
But the graphic of it might save a life.

It is titled "This Happened in Ohio"

If you have ever seen this, consider this a reminder.

Attachments

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
That poor soul is indeed dead. The plumbing shop he worked for had a long, proud history of "git 'er dun." Also had a long proud history of OSHA writeups. Guess who never had to get in the ditch and get er dun? Guess who never took OSHA seriously? The owner and supervision. Guess who got killed? A poor schmuck plumber.

·
Trust me. I'm a doctor.
934 Posts
I subcontracted from a shop in the late 80's and had a freind at the company die this way. I heard everyone talking over the two-way radio about him getting buried. I was only a few miles away and drove to the site. I watched the fire department lift him from the hole in a body bag. it was a very sobering thing to see. I learned my lesson and will refuse to go in a hole that is not properly shored or excavated. The coroner after the autopsy said he died from his aorta rupturing.

The company got off pretty easy on the fines and we all had to go to school for trench shoring and working in confined spaces.

I would like to take a class on that again as a refresher.

·
Registered
651 Posts
That poor soul is indeed dead. The plumbing shop he worked for had a long, proud history of "git 'er dun." Also had a long proud history of OSHA writeups. Guess who never had to get in the ditch and get er dun? Guess who never took OSHA seriously? The owner and supervision. Guess who got killed? A poor schmuck plumber.
Jjbex, did he have a wife & kids? If so, doubly tragic.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Well said. For those that took light of this matter........ what if this was you?

·
brown is down
371 Posts
i've worked with three different guys that got buried, all three got out thank god but the last one didn't make it by much. Every time the situation was sketchy from the start and every time the boss said the same thing, it'll take to long to step it back or get the trench box and i didn't bid this to screw around with that stuff. my personal fav is the old, it will tear up to much lawn! Apparently a bag of bluegrass is worth more than someones life. The last one he told osha the guy was walking along the edge of the trench and fell in, nice. i resigned shortly thereafter

·
Trust me. I'm a doctor.
934 Posts
A lot of people don't realize you could get burried up to your chest and still die from suffocation. If I remember correctly soil weighs approximately 3500 pounds per cubic foot depending on moistness and class type.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Being buried scares the cocka out of me. There are several men that I have heard of on the news in Lawton and OKC area that have been buried. All too often it seems to be city workers.
I remember the largest fight that I had with a boss was working for a minicipality. We had dug a ditch with a (I think) 13" bucket? I was the only one that could use a shovel in the ditch. Any who... The ditch as the end was well over 6' deep and being that I only stand 5'6" it was very scary. It had rained and I refused to get back in the ditch. I dang near got fired for bucking the boss.
I was buried once up to my knees and talk about scary... You can't move. My grandfather has told me that he was once buried to his waist- I can't imagine.
Safe digging to everyone... I would not want to lose a co-worker, friend, family member or even a local competitor to this tragic type of death.
So sad... :001_unsure:

·
Registered
305 Posts
A lot of people don't realize you could get burried up to your chest and still die from suffocation. If I remember correctly soil weighs approximately 3500 pounds per cubic foot depending on moistness and class type.
I think he means per cubic yard.

·
Trust me. I'm a doctor.
934 Posts
Yep, 10-4 gusty60. You're right. Cubic yard.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
By all rights I should be dead. I worked for a company in Maryland for 17 yrs and he did not believe in shoring. Being a stupid kid that didn't know any better i went into ditches as deep as 22' without shoring or proper excavating. After a while a couple guys got killed in southeast D.C. when a ditch caved in on them and my wife told me she did not want me going into ditches anymore. So whenever my boss tried to send me on a sewer job I would refuse to go in the ditch but he had plenty of other suckers. Ironically the only time I ever got hurt in a ditch it was only 3 ft deep and raining. A clump of dirt fell on my legs and bent one of my knees sideways. It was a minor injury but hurt like hell. Follow the osha rules guys over 4 ft SHORE IT. Under 4 ft be careful it still can hurt you.

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Jjbex, did he have a wife & kids? If so, doubly tragic.
I think he was engaged or newlywed, and his dad worked for the same shop. Bad news, this was the second fatal trench collapse for the contractor, Moeves Plumbing. Good news, they went out of business.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Sad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts