Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I need some advice...
I have red and blue Zurn PEX throughout my 9 year old house. On my 3/4 inch hot supply line I got a pin hole lead a year ago. I assumed when I found it that a screw must have finally made it way into the pipe but once I tore out the ceiling there was nothing near the pipe...just in mid span it started leaking. I cut out the leak put a new 6" piece of PEX (Shark Bite I think)...as soon as the sheetrock was dry and painted, another pin hole leak, 2' feet down from the repair. This time i examined the inside of the pipe and there are crack on the inside of the pipe running lengthwise and one is where the pine hole leak was. Rinse and repeat 2 more times...I contacted Zurn and sent the pipe in for analysis. After having to get the Engineers managers involved I finally got a response of "No manufacturing defect".

The pipe was in a heated ceiling so no freezing, no UV, no bends. So how did the cracks get there?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Dan

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,669 Posts
All the pex needs to be replaced with copper or better pex. But go with copper.
Zern Pex is garbage, you’ll have to just suck it up and replace all the piping in the house.
OR
You can ***** and moan as you slowly spot replace and bandaid fix your entire houses plumbing system and pay 25x as much over time vs if you just replace it all now.
just pray a pipe doesn’t split/burst when you’re not home or you’re away.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the pex needs to be replaced with copper or better pex. But go with copper.
Zern Pex is garbage, you’ll have to just suck it up and replace all the piping in the house.
OR
You can * and moan as you slowly spot replace and bandaid fix your entire houses plumbing system and pay 25x as much over time vs if you just replace it all now.
just pray a pipe doesn’t split/burst when you’re not home or you’re away.
Understand that! Just want Zurn to back their garbage product. Was thinking of taking them to small claims court to at least cover some of it.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
see If it was installed by a licensed plumber and that it was inspected by the plumbing inspector,sounds like incorrect installation to me,I have installed miles of Zurn pex and never had a problem,it is one of the best brands of pex on the mkt today IMO,something is not right and if no defect is found it has to be improper installation

·
Registered
598 Posts
I see it on Nibco PEX every now and then. Always on the hot line. Just had it happen on a line I installed two years ago. I see it enough that I switched to Uponor now. I’ve yet to see uponor fail. I’m betting it’s something to do with bad sections of pipe. I’ve had houses where it seems like all the pipe from a certain length is failing while the rest of the house is fine.
Maybe a manufacture defect, sunlight exposure or some other damage to that pipe pre installation.

·
Plumbing since 1974
Plumbing and light HVAC
157 Posts
In case you missed my individual post about nine year old new house that has had multiple cracked Uponor pex leaks.
Uponor is covering actual damage but homeowner is wanting more than wack-a-mole solution.
Pics are all of hot water splits. House has hot recirc. system.
Glasses Vision care Wood Eyewear Rectangle
Brown Amber Paint Fluid Orange

·
Registered
598 Posts
That’s scary, seems like everything has its issues.
Just got a whole house repipe yesterday. It’s crimp style pex, didn't bother to check the brand. While the pipe itself seems fair all the brass fittings have white corrosion on them and some are leaking. House is a little under fifteen years old. This isn’t the first one of these I’ve seen either.
Uponor is going back in. I tried unsuccessfully to sell copper. People just don’t want to pay for it even if they can afford it.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
In case you missed my individual post about nine year old new house that has had multiple cracked Uponor pex leaks.
Uponor is covering actual damage but homeowner is wanting more than wack-a-mole solution.
Pics are all of hot water splits. House has hot recirc. system. View attachment 130547 View attachment 130548
Is there any way you could put an aquastat on the circulating line so that it doesn't circulate 24-7??? I'm thinking the constant force of the water movement is causing this pipe to split

1 - 9 of 9 Posts