Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ended up with 12 main line prevents today. 11 for the annual turn over, when the kids go home for a month or so, and one for another customer. First two went good, brought it down the stairs for the third and no power. Tested the outlet, had power. Tried a different outlet, nothing. Normally I’d just cut the gfi off and put a regular plug on it, but I figured that would void my warranty.

Got home and called my rep, left a message. He called back within 5 minutes or so. First thing he said was that he was just thinking of me. I’ve only met him three times. He had just met with customer, PMC that does their own drains. They’re looking at upgrading to a bigger jetter and want to sell their 10y/o Spartan Soldier. He said it looks like it’s 2-3 years old. New pump 2-3 years ago, new hose two weeks ago. Said they wanted $15 for it, he told them they’d be lucky to get 8-10 for it.

I kinda want to hold out for a 40-18, but at the rate I’ve been handing out jet jobs I’d have it paid off in less than a year easy. When he gets the pictures he’s going to send them my way. Forgot to ask how many hours it has, but he said it runs like new. It’s about an hour and a half away from me.

Back to the 300.... he said, yes it would void the warranty, but told me to check a few things and if I need to, go ahead, cut out the gfi and he’d send me out a new cord.

So looks like I’m working Saturday now.

When I get pics I’ll post them. I won’t be able to look at it for a couple weeks. The cheapest jet job around here is about $500 for an easy outside clean out, inside work, $700 minimum. The big guys, I’ve heard anywhere from $1500-3500.

If I go look at it, anyone have experience with this jetter? Things to look for or at?

·
Super Moderator
8,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you do 12 mainlines???? Something has to be so easy, tell me how! Here you'd be lucky to do 2-3 a day. You'd be lucky to have a basement clean out!
11 are in one neighborhood. I have 5 on two blocks, same road. I don’t mess around! I haven’t had a back call that wasn’t tenet abuse until this last year, but it really wasn’t my fault. Combo of girls, tp and a small belly.

300 is back up and running, so I’m working Saturday. Stupid Chinese put a security screw in the gfi so I couldn’t check those connections. Voided my warranty, but the rep is going to look the other way and send me a new cord.

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
11 are in one neighborhood. I have 5 on two blocks, same road. I don’t mess around! I haven’t had a back call that wasn’t tenet abuse until this last year, but it really wasn’t my fault. Combo of girls, tp and a small belly.

300 is back up and running, so I’m working Saturday. Stupid Chinese put a security screw in the gfi so I couldn’t check those connections. Voided my warranty, but the rep is going to look the other way and send me a new cord.
How the heck do everyone on the same road get a clogged main? I bet you have easy outside clean outs? But if it's in Michigan doesn't it freeze?

·
Registered
10,466 Posts

this should have the saftey bit you need..for 10 bucks....

https://www.harborfreight.com/security-bit-set-with-case-100-pc-68457.html

·
Super Moderator
8,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How the heck do everyone on the same road get a clogged main? I bet you have easy outside clean outs? But if it's in Michigan doesn't it freeze?
Lol! Not clogged, prevents, preventive maintenance.

I don’t recall the code for depth outside, water is either 3’ or 4’. Septic and sewer have methane so I rarely see a frozen main lines. Usually it due to a leaky flapper or condensation line in a hardly used line.

These prevents are for two reasons. One, yes, we know they have roots in the clay lines. Two, kids move in, it backs up, pull back a bunch of Tampons... “we never flush those!” Bullshnt! It was just cleaned!

A prevent takes me about a half hour with cleanup.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts

First off, don't blame the chinese, they don't give two schits if you open it and electrocute yourself. It has a security screw because the manufacturer/electrical device designer has to be able to prove in court they took some action to prevent people tampering with a safety device. Your anger should be directed at the idiots who think we need all of this bullschit in the name of "safety". Write your congressman and tell them to amend the laws so idiots who choose to electrocute themselves take the blame so we don't have to live in a nanny state.

Second, why not keep a spare motor on the van if you use the machine that much? We keep a spare motor for my 92 at the shop and I can always steal one off my other two snakes. It's just a standard 1/2" shaft, 1/2hp motor on my 92 and because of the mounting I can use several different common frame sizes.

·
Super Moderator
8,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off, don't blame the chinese, they don't give two schits if you open it and electrocute yourself. It has a security screw because the manufacturer/electrical device designer has to be able to prove in court they took some action to prevent people tampering with a safety device. Your anger should be directed at the idiots who think we need all of this bullschit in the name of "safety". Write your congressman and tell them to amend the laws so idiots who choose to electrocute themselves take the blame so we don't have to live in a nanny state.

Second, why not keep a spare motor on the van if you use the machine that much? We keep a spare motor for my 92 at the shop and I can always steal one off my other two snakes. It's just a standard 1/2" shaft, 1/2hp motor on my 92 and because of the mounting I can use several different common frame sizes.

If you ever have watched The Five on Fox News, I’m still trying to figure out who to compare you too...

SRDH and I are probably Greg, Tango would be Tirus and you might be Cat. View point anyway.

China has slaves, so I don’t blame the people. If I was a slave I’d be sabotaging, or at least do a piss poor job too.

Personally, I’ve cut off the gfi out of every machine I’ve owned. New cord on the way. Probably will just put in stock and keep on keeping on.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
If you ever have watched The Five on Fox News, I’m still trying to figure out who to compare you too...

SRDH and I are probably Greg, Tango would be Tirus and you might be Cat. View point anyway.

China has slaves, so I don’t blame the people. If I was a slave I’d be sabotaging, or at least do a piss poor job too.

Personally, I’ve cut off the gfi out of every machine I’ve owned. New cord on the way. Probably will just put in stock and keep on keeping on.
why cant you just make a quality GFI pig tail that plugs into the wall then plug your machine into the pigtail GFI? solves the chinese crap GFI that comes with the machines...

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
why cant you just make a quality GFI pig tail that plugs into the wall then plug your machine into the pigtail GFI? solves the chinese crap GFI that comes with the machines...

He wants his machine to be all oem parts or the warranty will be void. It is a several thousand dollar brand new machine.

The current issue is that the gfi pigtail it comes with is erroneously tripping, he presumes it is defective so the rep is sending him another oem pigtail so it will all be stock.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
He wants his machine to be all oem parts or the warranty will be void. It is a several thousand dollar brand new machine.

The current issue is that the gfi pigtail it comes with is erroneously tripping, he presumes it is defective so the rep is sending him another oem pigtail so it will all be stock.

why dont you let the OP answer...or are you now a fukin mind reader?

·
Super Moderator
8,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Btw, 2 mains done before failure on the failure, 7 today. Started at 9 home just after 2. Couldn’t get into two because they are occupied and they didn’t want to bother them on the weekend. We’ll get those two sometime in the next few weeks.

These guys are probably my best customers. Payment as fast as possible, they listen to my master and I, the answer to any suggestion is always “Let’s do it!”.

Quick notes. Easy money. Most of the ones with “no roots” have minor separations and tend to plug up a week or three after the kids move back and I pull back tampons. It’s a bit of insurance for them when that happens. “We would never flush those! They must have been there before we moved in!” Nope, line was cleaned.

Bad picture of 421 with the grease. Underground was abandoned. Floor drain, clean out, wye catching the first floor. Checked the horizontal in the basement, no build up.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Lol! He is right. To be honest, I don’t care for fixed gfi’s. I’m going to put it on my machine so my warranty isn’t void. After the warranty expires, if the gfi goes bad I’ll just go to a plug.
its not a fixed gfi, its portable, just with short leads, if the one on the machine is crap and breaks, what good is it?

·
Super Moderator
8,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its not a fixed gfi, its portable, just with short leads, if the one on the machine is crap and breaks, what good is it?
Exactly. The only incorporated gfi that I’ve ever seen last for more than a few months is the one on my k6200. No idea how old it is.

Once I install the new cord, I’m going to take the old one a put a female end on it and have an extra 25’ extension cord.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
why dont you let the OP answer...or are you now a fukin mind reader?

No, I am just a good regular reader. I understood the picture he was painting and you didn't so I was trying to help you understand as well. I didn't put it in big letters to be snotty, I did it because you always say you have trouble reading the small print.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Exactly. The only incorporated gfi that I’ve ever seen last for more than a few months is the one on my k6200. No idea how old it is.

Once I install the new cord, I’m going to take the old one a put a female end on it and have an extra 25’ extension cord.

The gfci units that come on our generals have never been an issue. Our big hilti though, that gfci is garbage and it's had like three different oem gfci units.

·
Super Moderator
8,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The gfci units that come on our generals have never been an issue. Our big hilti though, that gfci is garbage and it's had like three different oem gfci units.

Problem is, is they’re all made in China, same with almost everything. I can’t blame Spartan or ridgid or any company for the foreign components they use. I can’t imagine how much it would cost for a company to tool up a new division for each special part.

We need to bring all jobs back here, but as we all know, no one from younger generations want to work. It’s all about safe spaces, entitlement and free stuff.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts