Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 800' of new , clean 3" L copper. We bid a job off a set of prints that were incorrect scale. I've had it in the shop for about 3 years and I'm tired of looking at it. PM me if you want it and we'll talk turkey.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
If you bought it three years ago you'll score a profit by scrapping it since the price has almost tripled since then.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to scrap perfectly good pipe. If I don't sell it , which I know I prolly won't. I'll just sit on it. It ain't eating anything sitting in the shop.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah. I never run M. In 15 years I did one library with M because the general insisted.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see. Great idea. I have run quite a bit of DWV copper for vents in return air plenums. I think you could dang near crush it with your hand.

Those days are over now though. Now we install PVC in return air plenums and have it insulated with armoflex to get the 25/50 rating. Sounds crazy but, it's much cheaper and faster for us.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Bought it for $4.72 Scrap is around $10 per foot. Scrapyard has cash on barrelhead. Thinking.....

I'll need it immediately after I cash it in:yes:

Priced new , $18.10

Cu is on the way down in these parts though. #1 scrap = $2.70

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it's new pipe, scrap metal yards will be suspicious too, even you being a plumbing contractor.

As they should be. But, I know the gentleman who owns the yard.
He takes all our large boiler and piping removal spoils.

Goes against my grain to scrap new pipe.

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
Goes against my grain to scrap new pipe.

I heard that man. . . . anything over about a foot long in PVC, I try to keep it for make-up pieces, etc. .

Don't fool that much with copper, not yet anyhow. . .mostly use CPVC on potable water w/ polethylene coming in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts