Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
W/M Code

That was my interpretation of our code also. But my local-super-aggravating inspector told me you could go 6' horizontal. IPC. I had been going 3" off of the trap.

I'm not against THIS code. I feel some things are redundant and controlled by the Department of Insurance. At least in N.C.

The reason I'm ok with it is that I have seen more than once that some new washers pump more volume and traditional plumbing can't keep up. A washing machine is alot of times an unmonitored pump without a positive connection or overflow. Plus, sudsing can cause problems in 2" in the right situation.

So, I do think it has some benefit and gives me piece of mind. Sleep a little better.

J.C.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
2" is more then plenty in my book, I agree about sudsing, but there is a regulation for that, tie in's cannot be any closer then 8', when coming down from a second floor. verticle to horizontal, UPC

I think 3" is a waste in my book, the washer pumps out alot of water, but with 3", will lose it's self scouring principals.

just my 2 cents :thumbsup:

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
2" waste for automatic washer in ky, on a residential.

commercial laundries can have 2 automatic washers on ONE 4 inch trap with the base of the stack washed by either a starch sink or a/w. with a 4" VTR.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
2" is more then plenty in my book, I agree about sudsing, but there is a regulation for that, tie in's cannot be any closer then 8', when coming down from a second floor. verticle to horizontal, UPC

I think 3" is a waste in my book, the washer pumps out alot of water, but with 3", will lose it's self scouring principals.

just my 2 cents :thumbsup:
That's for 3+ floors only here. The 8' rule.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
it has been my experience that you have less cloge. i use 3" on washing machines and kitchen sinks.
Oh man when I see 3" on a clogged Kitchen sink line I know its gonna be a fun one... Sludge city here we come!

·
Registered
584 Posts
2" here as well. 3" seems like overkill, we use 2". It would be a royal PITA now that people have a fascination with having their laundry on the second floor.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
2" is plenty fine, and i go by the same codes as Ron, although our inspectors are quite different i'm sure. I have a super king size whatever they call it, the biggest of the humungo front loading extra fast spin/pump cycle new fangled washing machines. Not sure what california code is, but mine has always been 1-1/2" PVC drain with water fittings (90's). It has never overflowed due to output from the pump, clogged nor backed up.

There. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
1 1/2" above ground into two inch clean out running 2 inch below ground and do not connect to floor drain branch. no sudsing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts