Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
They might very well make you tear it out here as well. You would have to prove that the length of the run and the supply pressure would deliver the minimum flow rate for the fixture served. The IPC only addresses it pretty much that way.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
they make 3/8"id 1/2" od sharke bites.........

You can also use plain brass compression couplings with plastic ferruls and brass stiffeners.

Stay away from te 3/8 pex off a manifold, for one thing, yes I have encountered the 3/8 as the main lines out to the fixtures, it was quest pipe, if you know what it's like to fix a leak on 3/8 in the wall and almost no way to make the transition from it to pex, almost impossible, supply house will have no way to help you in the case, I did not warranty my repair on it, I had to use a 3/8 comp x 1/2 comp quest coupling.

Just don't use this crap. I have only found it twice here and once in the walls, no way to replace a run unless you take it all the way back to the block, this was not an option.

It was not an older house.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Florida code has a provision for manifold water distribution systems. You can run 3/8"ID pipe in walls and under slabs as long as it is a manifold system and the line is sized so that it supplies the flow pressure set forth in the code. It's kind of irrelevant though because if you were to run a loop long enough to actually end up under code spec'd flow pressure you would have defeated the purpose of installing a manabloc system. The idea is that you locate your heater(s) central to your fixtures and run properly sized distribution lines to each fixture. If you don't design a mana bloc system properly, then it just won't perform as advertised. I've discussed this topic before on contractortalk.com .

See here: http://www.contractortalk.com/f28/aquapex-8569/#post511627

I routinely use 3/8" pex water supplies for sinks and toilets. Still, 3/8" size of any pipe is not allowed inside walls as per the latest code.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a lot of PEX used in this area due to PH problems that will eat copper for lunch. It is a rare occurance when 3/8" is used at all. 1/2" to the fxture and then 3/8" to the faucet from the stop. We sell all of the sizes at my store but do not move much 3/8" at all. This is good pipe when needed or used and there are banded couplings now to connect from PB to PEX. The good thing is that the OD is a match for copper, CPVC, PB and PEX so possibilities do exist.

·
Registered
179 Posts
3/8 pex is 1/2 inch o.d. not the same as the 3/8 o.d. copper used for supply lines. I think the 3/8 inch pex would be big enough for most fixtures if manifolded, but our inspector does not allow it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts