Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a favorite .22lr rifle? I figure if it can kill an alligator, it can kill a zombie.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
.22lr is a very unreliable round. They tend to jam and misfire allot. I own several .22 guns and none of them feed or fire reliably. I own a 10/22 and a g22. both feed and fire unreliably no matter how often they are cleaned or what ammo I feed them. I would recommend another cartridge for defense purposes.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Must be something wrong with the 10/22, I have put thousands and thousands of rounds through mine and can't recall ever having a misfire. My favorite .22 though is a 50 year old Marlin Model 80 bolt action with a 3-9 power scope on it. It never misses

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Must be something wrong with the 10/22, I have put thousands and thousands of rounds through mine and can't recall ever having a misfire. My favorite .22 though is a 50 year old Marlin Model 80 bolt action with a 3-9 power scope on it. It never misses
I believe the problem is with the rotary mags. They seem to get jammed up easy. I know I labeled my mags and some jammed far more frequently then others.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I have a very old Winchester pump that is fun to shoot also. My 10/22 has the ATI Intrafuse stock on it with the quad rail system, scope and 30 round mags, looks like an AR

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Marlin Model 60, about $160 and I prefer a tube fed as to having to fumble with a clip. They don't like winchester white box ammo though! Expect 5 or so misfeeds for the first 1000 rds after that they shoot without fail!

·
CEO Speedwagon.
1,657 Posts
If your primary goal is killing alligators, and or zombies, a 22 is the wrong choice. If those are your objectives, then stopping power is what you are after. 357 mag, or shotgun. Ken has a history with gators, I'd take his advice.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
If your primary goal is killing alligators, and or zombies, a 22 is the wrong choice. If those are your objectives, then stopping power is what you are after. 357 mag, or shotgun. Ken has a history with gators, I'd take his advice.
A .22lr will kill a gator just fine. It's just a pain clearing jams while one is thrashing around.

That said, my walther g22 with the suppressor on it is one of the funnest guns for plinking. I've even dropped a few hogs with it. You just have you hit them right in the brain.

Zombies? No way, I'm grabbing the glock, shotgun or the AR.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
.22lr is a very unreliable round. They tend to jam and misfire allot. I own several .22 guns and none of them feed or fire reliably. I own a 10/22 and a g22. both feed and fire unreliably no matter how often they are cleaned or what ammo I feed them. I would recommend another cartridge for defense purposes.
I bought my Ruger 10/22 in 1976 and in the time between 76 & '80 it was used extensively knocking off ground squirrels firing approx 500 rounds per day, May-Sept. one shot one kill... :laughing:

I usually went about 3-4 times a week...
I don't know how many thousands of rounds I sent through it...
But it was a very reliable gun and fed quite well...

Late in the first year I did have problems with the feed where the spent round would not eject properly. The gun stopped working well with the cheap Remington Yellow Jacket Hollow Points and developed a taste for the more expensive CCI Stingers....

Ultimately I found the problem was a cleaning issue and I wasn't cleaning the bolt properly. Once I properly cleaned the bolt the Yellow Jacket cartridges again worked fine...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts