Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a repipe in central Florida where the home had polybutylene pipe failing within just a few years after being built. Quest pex pipe was used for the repairs with Quest brass fittings. None of the pex had leaked even after 10 years. I removed the pex from the house during the repipe (where I used pex). Here are some photos.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I could post pictures like that of galvanized water pipe that has been installed for fifty years, what does ten years prove?

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more pics. It took quite a few hard whacks with a hammer and flaring tool to get the fitting to split.

Attachments

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I could post pictures of galvanized pipe that rusted out in 15. It proves that materials can perform quite differently from one area to the next, and from one batch to the next.

I could post pictures like that of galvanized water pipe that has been installed for fifty years, what does ten years prove?

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Trying to understand, what does splitting the fitting show/prove?
I think he's showing that after 10 years in his areas water is very agreeable with those brass fittings and they are still quite strong.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right. There was some embrittlement due to selective leaching aka de-alloying aka de-zincification but the fittings are still very strong and I'd say they have at lest another 10 years left in them. The interesting part in this case is that the polybutylene and copper pipes in this house failed in less than 10 years but the pex did not. This is the infamous zurn pex too. The pex pipe it self showed no (visible) signs of wear and tear.

I think he's showing that after 10 years in his areas water is very agreeable with those brass fittings and they are still quite strong.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What great timing. You talk of 100 year old galvanized and I get a call last night at 7pm from a HO who has no water. Why? A galvanized pipe busted. How old is the house? 12 years old. Good thing the builder used galvo and not pex:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
I cant believe how much glavy people use on water in FL.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Galvanized pipe and fittings are not legal for potable water here in BC.

Reactions: Protech
1 - 14 of 14 Posts