Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife comes in to the bedroom sometime last night after I have already gone to bed and am fast asleep saying something about coyotes. My response is something like "yea, uh huh, I'll pick some up in the morning, zzzzzzzzzzz". Occasionally I am stirred by the bark of my daughter's 21" long haired weiner schnitzel hound doggy (otherwise known as a long haired dachshund).

This morning my wife can't wait to report to me about how we were surrounded on every side by 100 coyotes last night and that Lucy (the weiner schnitzel hound doggy) was beside herself (but not so much when they were really close :whistling2:). Not really sure how she arrived at 100 but I took this to mean "there were really a lot of them and I was scared and all you did was sleep". We see them with some frequency but always alone. They are the most pitful looking creatures you could imagine. One year several years ago though, we did see, on a regular basis for a few weeks, what I believe must have been a mating pair. Usually when I see them they look like medium small grey dogs, skinny, scared, pitiful. These two were quite different. More like medium large dogs, thick, beautiful multi colored fur, very handsome and healthy looking. So different were they that for several weeks we thought that they were actually silver foxes only to find out that there are no silver foxes in the wild in North America. They were very uncoyote like. In the end though, I'm pretty sure that's what they were. Anyway, everybody survived the wild pack of blood thirsty, marauding coyotes, ... except ... I don't remember seeing my neighbors dog today, ... hmmm.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Only thing worse, would be your house surrounded by 100 Democrats all with thier hands out.:laughing: ahhwoooooooooooooo "Give us 57% of what you made today. We'll be back tomorrow for the rest"

Sorry, just got through watching the Prez adress to congress.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only thing worse, would be your house surrounded by 100 Democrats all with thier hands out.:laughing: ahhwoooooooooooooo "Give us 57% of what you made today. We'll be back tomorrow for the rest"

Sorry, just got through watching the Prez adress to congress.
You're right! That is worse! At least, for now anyway, I can still get a permit and shoot the coyotes!

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
We have a bunch of coyotes in our area to a point I once told my wife to name her new kitten "Dinner". However, forget coyotes. One night my wife and I woke up to the sound of something in the back yard. The dogs were locked up so I wasn't too concerned and told her to go back to bed. Minutes later while in a light sleep I heard something heavy jump over the fence by our bedroom. A little later I saw what appeared to be a flashlight in the front yard. While I laid there trying to decide when to go see what was going on I heard little bare feet running up our drive way. My wife came rushing into thew house to report she just saw the largest bob cat she had ever seen. I asked her how long the tail was and she said it looked 6' long. I told her that was not a bob cat but a mountain lion and go back to sleep. I knew when I heard how big the animal was that jumped the fence I didn't need to be outside but my wife is a bit more curious then I am.

Mark

·
Registered
212 Posts
In this part of Ca. we have lots of deer, and of course moutain lions to eat them. After dark some of the neighbors like to take walks by themselves. Not the greatest of ideas.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
OK-OK here I am. Just running behind. Should have seen my gears turn when I seen 100 coyotes and had to open it up:laughing:
Keep in mind 2 coyotes can sound like alot.
Now, since you haven't seen your neighbors dog, there is a very good chance he could be gone. Coyotes will kill domestic cats and dogs at every chance they get. It happens everywhere. They are now or have been pressured by expansion into their domain and relating humans to food (trash and such). There are people/kids being attacked by coyotes. Its on going. If a person took out 4 out of every 5 coyotes it would take over 50 years to eliminate the species. That will NEVER happen. That was from a study done back in the early 90's late 80's.
I just shot the 4th coyote since Nov with the mange, getting little aggrevated by it. I have taken out quite a few , but not that many with the mange in such a short amount of time.
Cougars would be very intimidating/EXCITING to call in. I have never seen one in the wild but from what I hear, they are making their way here. If I call one in while calling coyotes, it would be hard for me not to drop the hammer. If close to my house, I have kids, I would probably do it. Not to be blood thirsty but protection for the kids.

See, you need to pay me a svc fee (plain ticket) and let me set up around your place:thumbsup: I'll call and you shoot. Whats fun is when you call one in and it comes in behind you and you can hear him tip toe in. Just a tad bit exciting.
They are pairing up for breeding season. Alot of vocalization is going on. When I call this time of year, I always start out with a non-dominant howl a couple times and then go to distress. Sometimes I just use vocalizations. It depends on the surroundings and situation. Well, I could go on and on but I'll stop here:thumbsup:

In Christ,

Song Dog

1 - 11 of 11 Posts