Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lead what?
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running into trouble with 1/4 Turn 'ball valve' style angle valves?? I have seen multiple brands not shutting off all the way or being REALLY hard to turn. This is maybe 4-8 years old. Now, we do have hard water in the area.... but this is with watts, legend, and keeny valves.

We may be switching back to washer style valves. At least they are servicable! :cry:

·
Lead what?
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are all prone to not seal. I carry 3/8 x 3/8 supplies to cross until i hook it up to the sink. Its not worth switching them out because my wholesaler doesn't want them back.
You mean they don't want to hassle with warranty issues? Sounds like some places around here. Most of the valve companies have a sketchy warranty anyways, they always include 'at our discretion', so in otherwards 'if we feel like it'.

I flat out don't want to put valves in today, selling someone on 'these new 1/4 turn valves are great'', only to come back in a few years with those same valves not working. :censored:

·
Certified Lunatic
20,659 Posts
Anyone running into trouble with 1/4 Turn 'ball valve' style angle valves?? I have seen multiple brands not shutting off all the way or being REALLY hard to turn. This is maybe 4-8 years old. Now, we do have hard water in the area.... but this is with watts, legend, and keeny valves.

We may be switching back to washer style valves. At least they are servicable! :cry:
I've used BrassCraft and Dahl...
Haven't noticed any problems....

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,328 Posts
Never had any problems with mine. I use legend 1/4 turn stops. Haven't had any problems. I've prolly installed several thousand of them and not had a single warranty claim.

·
AKA house plumber
3,560 Posts
I've seen a maybe 4 or 5 brasscraft 1/4 turn not shut off. Got to realize all it takes is a small defect in the ball to make leak. I'm sure that happens when the balls are being made and dropping into the big bin at the factory

·
Lead what?
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i use watts, nibco, and brasscraft and have installed both multi-turn and 1/4 turn. I like multi-turn on old galvy water supply pipes. New stuff gets 1/4 turn.
About half of the homes here are galv. I just ordered some wb full turn stops just to try them.

Thanks to everyone who put in some sense (cents :thumbup: ) . I just wonder how many actually go back several years later and operate the valves.

:rolleyes:

Have a good weekend.

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,706 Posts
want some legends anyone??

I try to use only brass craft under the sinks never a problem.
Nibco on the water heater installs..

the Legend valves and ball valvesare nothing but junk...
I have had them start leaking around the screwed together joint right after soldering them that really pisses me off to have to tear it all out and do it again....

and after only a few years if you touch one you run the risk of it leaking at the handle..:furious:

this is the case for both 3/4 and 1/2 I got a box of a dozen I need to return

·
I Married Up
16,933 Posts
Although some may be better than others, the conditions and lack of use probably affect supply stops more than anything. How many years does an angle stop sit untouched before the faucet needs replaced again? Asking an awful lot from that little thing aren't we?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I install Brass Crafts and I have never had a problem, I will install a 1/4 turn valve long before a full turn in service.

We have to roll with the punches on the new construction side.

Problem I run into down here is a valve that has been sitting open for a long period of time, if it's locked up I'm finding the valves up in the ceiling and changing them out to 1/4 turns.

I know I'm fixing to get hosed for saying this but at a local hospital in town they have a lot of old 3/8" stops on 3/8" nipples, every chase in the old part of the hospital have valves located in the basement. Problem with that is they are difficult to get to and the maintenance staff hates bringing the water down. Me and a co worker have mastered the art of doing them live. A shop vac and a little testicle fortitude goes a long way.... Lol

·
Certified Lunatic
20,659 Posts
I know I'm fixing to get hosed for saying this but at a local hospital in town they have a lot of old 3/8" stops on 3/8" nipples, every chase in the old part of the hospital have valves located in the basement. Problem with that is they are difficult to get to and the maintenance staff hates bringing the water down. Me and a co worker have mastered the art of doing them live. A shop vac and a little testicle fortitude goes a long way.... Lol
Damn! You Da Man!

That's some fortitude right there!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
We haven't done it in a couple of years, and usually just wait until we have a water shut down to change them out. Which usually happens quite often.

But your right, too many variables could go wrong, mainly the nipple breaking off in the wall or threads breaking off inside of stop. Ball game over then. If the nipple is ate up, it's a no go.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I've had to change out stuff under pressure before when valves only held 1/2 way. It's a real pain but that's what makes propress so great. Get your portaban, have a propress valve and cut slam and press. I would never try it on galvanized though way too much stuff can go wrong. I've also changed out plenty of gascocks hot swapped. I would never do that on 2lb gas but not too big of a deal on 6" WC

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I've had to change out stuff under pressure before when valves only held 1/2 way. It's a real pain but that's what makes propress so great. Get your portaban, have a propress valve and cut slam and press. I would never try it on galvanized though way too much stuff can go wrong. I've also changed out plenty of gascocks hot swapped. I would never do that on 2lb gas but not too big of a deal on 6" WC
Till you drop the valve, and it rolls under the dryer.

And your helper is leaning against some scaffolding somewhere, sucking up the breeze,'and wont answer the radio.......

And you're on a ladder.......

Reactions: gusty60

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Till you drop the valve, and it rolls under the dryer.

And your helper is leaning against some scaffolding somewhere, sucking up the breeze,'and wont answer the radio.......

And you're on a ladder.......
Oh common now, my helper is in the truck. "looking for a fitting" also known as taking a smoke break....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.