Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1/2 galv IPS compression X 1/2 cts

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Protech 
#1 ·
Where or is there a place that makes these?
I need to get on to 1/2 galv (compression) and then transition to 1/2 cts (fip or mip).
The galv has been cut and already has a dresser coupling (repair pvc). But when I do what I need to do, I will have to take it apart and put back (new one) and I don't want to use that style.

In Christ,

Song Dog

#5 ·
I never had trouble cutting old galvanized and threading it. I have had people call me all the time to install a ice maker line for them, and since saddle fittings are illegal here in Illinois, I just cut the old galvanized line thread it and put in a tee with a threaded union. No issues ever.

#7 · (Edited)
Sarcasm noted.

I have came across some galvanized pipe that had a leak in it, I just unthreaded it out from the fittings and replaced it with a new piece and a union. I never liked the dressler couplings, I will do anything I can do to avoid using them.

#9 ·
dressers ok if you restrain the pipe but yeah i would rather just replace it. Somtimes its so far gone tho. I'll use a dresser for a temp fix and with galy water pipe around here the glavy is so bad anyway that its for sure temporary

#10 ·
My deal is:
It has already been cut. There are the H&C lines feeding upstairs and are between floor joist and right above a beam. I am repiping her basement only. There are dressers already there but I don't like them. As mentioned, I am afraid they will blow apart. Where they are located I can't get a threader in there. I have one and it won't work. I want to get the fittings before I start.

In Christ,

Song Dog

#13 ·
It's the Lake Michigan water. Ron and KTS both work primarily in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. Galvanised lasts a long time there. When you get out a little south, most of the municipal wells are in limestone formations. Joliet is full of old limestone quarries. I have run into 50 year old galvanised water lines that are still good, but the drains don't last as long.

#16 ·
if you have to use a compression fitting on galv. try a "ford" or "muller" coupling had them to 210# in a 2"pvc 90 left it over night to prove a point and I was right they held. I gave up on dresslers long ago. But first i'd try threading the pipe.
I asked a salesman of mine about the Fords. Smallest they come in is 3/4. Thats is what I was wanting.

In Christ,

Song Dog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.