Teaching Your Customers About What’s Flushable - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Featured Articles and Topics

Like Tree25Likes
  • 4 Post By Tango
  • 6 Post By SchmitzPlumbing
  • 3 Post By skoronesa
  • 7 Post By ShtRnsdownhill
  • 4 Post By dhal22
  • 1 Post By ShtRnsdownhill

Old 05-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
Administrator

View PlumbingZone's Photo Album My Photos
Default Teaching Your Customers About What’s Flushable

Once, back in the before-times, toilet paper was plentiful and flowed like rivers throughout the United States. Now, people have resorted to using things like baby wipes and paper towels to wipe after using the bathroom, and honestly, a lot of people’s plumbing is having a bad go because of it. As plumbers, many of you guys have been called out to handle clogs that should have been avoidable. The time has come guys; this conversation can’t be put off any longer.

The conversation in question? Telling customers what they can and cannot flush down the toilet. All the panic hoarding hasn’t really done anyone any favors these past months, with the massive amounts of TP being squirreled away by some people being among the most irksome. Without many, many people being able to access a readily available source of the soft, paper gold, they just use whatever they can get their hands on. They make the assumption that because it’s soft, they can watch it whirl down the porcelain bowl and it won’t make much of a difference.

The issue with that though, is that it does, as we’re sure many of you can attest to. Which is why it’s up to you guys to tell your clients that those “flushable” baby wipes, really shouldn’t be flushed. By tell, we mean really impress on them what they cannot flush and why. We’re not saying you’ve got to get all “stern third-grade English teacher” on them, but a lot of people out there aren’t really aware of the fact that not all “wiping paper” is equal.

Let them know the differences between toilet tissue and paper towels; how one is designed to break apart whereas the other simply isn’t. Tell them that if they don’t dispose of their paper towels in the wastebasket that their pipes will just clog back up again. Even Kleenex are too sturdy to be flushed. To really drive the point home, you can give them a list of things that aren’t meant to be disposed of via the toilet.

Be sure that your non-flushable list includes; baby wipes (especially the flushable ones), paper towels, Kleenex, diapers, Q-tips and cotton pads, and feminine hygiene products (tampons and pads). Make sure they know that these products will either absorb water (diapers and feminine hygiene products) or that they will eventually build up in their pipes and clog.

If people continue to just flush junk like they’ve been doing they could eventually manage to completely wreck their town’s municipal sewage. In order to avoid that absolute nightmare, tell your customers what they need to know. Education is one of the strongest weapons, in regard to prevention. The more of your clients who know what not to flush, the fewer calls you’ll have to come out and try to unclog their pipes.

We hope that our “don’t dump it down the toilet” PSA was at least somewhat helpful for you guys, We know that your job isn’t easy, but we want this to serve as a friendly reminder for you to inform your clients as to how they can make both your job and their lives a little less stressful in this trying time.

If any of you have any words of wisdom to add, please share them in the comments below and make sure to keep yourselves safe out there on the job, people!

Name:  pz.png
Views: 66
Size:  2.7 KB
PlumbingZone is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2020, 09:26 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

You should add in there, chicken wings. Yep I got a few who called for that.

My favorite is when they tell me they put coffee grinds to unclog pipes. 3/10 people tell me they saw that on the internet so they put some in regularly.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:27 PM   #3

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos

flush it all. ahh the smell of money. you cant fix or try to train stupid. underwear, bras, it dont matter.
SchmitzPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #4

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
You should add in there, chicken wings. Yep I got a few who called for that.

My favorite is when they tell me they put coffee grinds to unclog pipes. 3/10 people tell me they saw that on the internet so they put some in regularly.

Last year, a couple days after st. paddy's day, I got a call for a clogged toilet.

This fat catholic priest was too lazy to go outside and put it in the dumpster and didn't want it smelling in his kitchen trash....

He flushed the left overs from his corned beef, carrots, cabbage, and potatoes. Or at least he tried to flush them. I had to vacuum it all out.

Lazy, privileged, azzhole. He had the gall to ask me if the landlord would have to pay the bill.

chonkie, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:19 AM   #5

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

another stupid article....Im not a fuking babysitter, if grown people dont know what to flush or not flush then they can pay to fix STUPID....
Old 05-15-2020, 08:04 AM   #6

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
another stupid article....Im not a fuking babysitter, if grown people dont know what to flush or not flush then they can pay to fix STUPID....
Exactly. Love 'flushable wipes', steady work for plumbers. Even better it helps expose existing problems and can generate sewer line repairs/replacements.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:22 PM   #7

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

I used to service about 6 tim Horton locations, I was in snaking coffee grounds out of their drains regularly, prob once a month per store.
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #8

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtec View Post
I used to service about 6 tim Horton locations, I was in snaking coffee grounds out of their drains regularly, prob once a month per store.
used coffee grounds can become like concrete....job security for you...
skoronesa likes this.