Study Tips for the Master Plumber Exam - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Featured Articles and Topics

Like Tree16Likes
  • 4 Post By ShtRnsdownhill
  • 5 Post By Tommy plumber
  • 1 Post By skoronesa
  • 4 Post By SchmitzPlumbing
  • 2 Post By Tommy plumber

Old 05-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
Administrator

View PlumbingZone's Photo Album My Photos
Default Study Tips for the Master Plumber Exam

If you’re an apprentice or journeyman plumber thinking about taking the master plumber exam in the near future, you might be confused about what you need to study to be prepared for the exam. Unfortunately, there’s not one study guide we can recommend for everybody since the requirements vary so much by state, but this article has ideas for general study tips and resources that should help you no matter what state you live in.

Check with your State

First off, each state will have slightly different requirements for who is eligible to take the master plumber exam. They’ll also have different test formats and requirements. Find the people in your state who are in charge of licensing and check with them to make sure you know what to expect on the exam. Your state might even have a website that includes all the information you should study, so start there before you do any other test prep to make sure that you’re studying the material that will help you most.

Talk to Other Master Plumbers

Do you know other plumbers who have taken the exam? Even if it’s been a while, ask them their advice, what they wish they’d known, etc. You’ll probably get some great tips on what to study and how to prepare.

Get the Study Guide for the Code Used in Your State

Your state probably uses either (or both) the UPC or IPC. Get the study guide for the code used in your state and study, study, study. The UPC Study Guide includes a CD so you can work at the computer if that’s your preference and includes over 1,600 practice questions. Roger Wakefield, a master plumber on YouTube, recommends that you highlight all the correct answers in the UPC study guide and review those without worrying about the other answers. Check out his video as he shares some other great preparation tips for plumbing exams.

The IPC Study Companion has 375 questions. Since the format of the IPC book is different, Roger Wakefield recommends that you look up the code for every question in this book so that you know your answers are 100% correct.

Both books contain detailed explanations to make sure you have a firm grasp on what code questions might be asked on the exam. If you spend a lot of time in a vehicle, another idea is to record yourself reading the actual code book out loud so you can listen to it during your travel time.

Online Test Prep

The internet hosts some incredible test prep resources. For example, the Plumbers Training Institute has complete test prep programs that are individualized for your state. They include videos and lessons on interpreting isometric drawings, reading and creating plumbing plans, venting systems and theory, plumbing math, and more. Depending on how broad your experience is and how much you need to learn for the exam, the cost for the course (around $390–$700 depending on your state) might be well worth the investment.

There are other resources online, like practice tests, study guides, and exam prep courses. We recommend you do a bit of research to find the programs or materials that are the best balance between what your state requires and what you need to learn.

The Day of the Exam

Take your exam day seriously. You’ve paid for the exam and studied hard, so make sure you follow basic pre-test recommendations and get a good night’s sleep, eat a good breakfast, and get to the testing center at least half an hour early. You’ll need that time to make sure you can find a parking spot, get to the right room, fill out any paperwork you need to, and get set up on your computer.
Taking the master plumber exam is a big deal and an exciting step in your career! The best way to ensure you pass it is to prepare as thoroughly as possible and go into the exam not only knowing your stuff but also knowing that you’re prepared for your state’s specific exam.

We’d love to hear from you. How much time are you spending preparing for the master plumber exam? If you’ve already taken it, what do you wish you’d known beforehand?

Name:  pz.png
Views: 60
Size:  2.7 KB
PlumbingZone is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

is the writer even a licensed plumber or even a plumber???
chonkie, Debo22, skoronesa and 1 others like this.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #3

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I remember the anxiety before. I couldn't sleep the night before...LOL.

Studying a lot was the way that I approached it. In my state of FL, we have to do these isometric drawings which are not that difficult once you learn how to draw them.

Our master's exam was actually two tests spread out over {16} hours. It takes two days to do them both. But once I passed, I let out a big "WHEW!" What a great feeling to pass those. Those were great days.
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 11:12 PM   #4

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post

No, of course not lolz How could you even suggest such a thing?

ShtRnsdownhill likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:23 PM   #5

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
nope, everyone that is on this forum is a bunch of unlicensed hacks.
SchmitzPlumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #6

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmitzPlumbing View Post
nope, everyone that is on this forum is a bunch of unlicensed hacks.

Schmitz Plumbing, I actually am a licensed plumber.

So I'm a hack with a license....LOL...….
SchmitzPlumbing and skoronesa like this.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post

So I'm a hack with a license....LOL....
i got lucky. made up a fake name and profile and lied my way in. you fools let me in with open arms. dumb arses.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post

So I'm a hack with a license....LOL....
some time we will have to hook up. went to longboat key 4 times in the last 5 years. trying to book now but no luck.